Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 18-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #31
sebarau
Dragon

very very intresting topic..thanks for ray2828 and conchabullosa. may be a sketch of the setup might help for those who intrest to follow the same?
sebarau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 12:53 AM   #32
qwertivity
Dragon

this is very interesting. i think is mainly it just a more efficient and controlled way of binding and breaking down the harmful bacteria into harmless ones? since O3 is not lethal [in regulated proportions] as compared to chlorine? am i right on this?

too bad i din get to see the rays. can imagine though.
qwertivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 01:53 AM   #33
jedi

very informative write up Daniel.

after the visit to ur house. i started to underdose my antichlorine uring WC.

with reference to the orp monitor, i was really shocked at how much anti chlorine dropped the orp reading.

chloring is not a bed thing after all
Old 19-12-2008, 02:07 AM   #34
ray2828
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertivity View Post
this is very interesting. i think is mainly it just a more efficient and controlled way of binding and breaking down the harmful bacteria into harmless ones? since O3 is not lethal [in regulated proportions] as compared to chlorine? am i right on this?

too bad i din get to see the rays. can imagine though.
Both chlorine and o3 is beneficial in regulated proportions. Idea is to try use the meter to regulate the ideal dosage.

A point to note though, dosing chloring, PP and o3 are highly risky activities, proceed with small doses until you get the hang of it.

U can also read Atom's other posting on using ORP controller. Its an an entire school of knowledge all together.
ray2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 02:13 AM   #35
jedi

From my limited experience, changes in orp reading are not reflected in real time. it takes some time ( up to hours) after adding additives to reflect the true reading.

So like Daniel mentioned , be very careful when dosing additives.
Old 19-12-2008, 02:19 AM   #36
boony
Arofanatic

At tail end of my freezing business trip to Europe, so time for my 2 cents worth.
It was a deliberate attempt on my part to use plants, high areation and quick water flow to keep water clear and healthy when planning for my pond.
And while i was dumbfounded when i first learned about the instruments and chemicals involved in the set-up of Michael and Daniel, i cannot but want to shout out "my fishes also grow big and fast, have low death rates even for supposedly fragile fishes like Altum's" balh balh blah. My refrain soon lead me to realise that they want to control the parameters to optimize their goal, be it breeding, growth etc of their rays. Mine is an eclectic mishmash for variety sake and no catering for any particular specie in mind.
Up until warning from Lincoln about "acid in rainwater posting", i did not even test for PH and went running to buy coral chips as the buffer! Since then, nothing else added or tested.
If there is a "Fish God", needless to say i will not be receiving X'Mas cards for having such a chin chai attitude in my pond set-up.
In short. For precision and results in ray breeding, there are only 2 ways to go: The wrong way and the Michael/Daniel way.
boony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 02:29 AM   #37
lincolngoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by boony View Post
In short. For precision and results in ray breeding, there are only 2 ways to go: The wrong way and the Michael/Daniel way.
I think if you reduced your bioload by 1/2, yours could be ideal. Plants work, but a lot slower.

Fish may self regulate their fertility if conditions are not ideal for more competition from more young.
Old 19-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #38
bBxiAng

wow useful information...wonder where u guys managed to get info like this ...thanks for sharing!
Old 19-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #39
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchabullosa View Post
Yes, ORP, O3 and Skimmer are all associated with marine hobbyists. The principles are the same for fresh and marine water.
Skimmer is far more efficient in marine tank. In freshwater, the skimmate looks like water and there is very little foam so alot of people feel that it does not work. IMO, truth is prob halfway, freshwater skimmers work but less efficient.
Remember a skimmer removes DOC (dissolved organic carbon). When u couple with O3, the skimmer is more efficient in removing DOC. Not only that, the thorough mixing of O3 with water effectively oxidizes toxins, spores, free floating bact etc (and incr ORP). I also believe O3 removes the hormone and pheromones that are secreted by the fishes. These ( I believe) are inhibitory factors, stunting growth and ? mating?
Interesting that an O3 and skimmer combination can remove so many things from the water. If this combination can remove hormones that inhibit growth, that would be really good!
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #40
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyyouknow View Post
Interesting that an O3 and skimmer combination can remove so many things from the water. If this combination can remove hormones that inhibit growth, that would be really good!
Personally, nothing beats frequent WC to remove such hormones.
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote