Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 02-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
stevieg
Dragon

Default Fish-friendly insecticide/ pesticide

Hi guys

Recently have seen midges/ mosquitos around my tank. tried everything but they keep coming back.

Am looking for a fish-friendly insecticide/ pesticide to spray around my tanks. Does anyone know of one and where to buy it? Appreciate any input.

Thank you all and Happy New Year!
stevieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
sixthbrand
Dragon

Where are they breeding currently? Unfortunately what can kill them will kill your fishes as well. Your best bet will be to dose Midgex but it only targets larvae stage. I had an infestation in my sump. Cleanwrapped my whole sump, filled water to the brim and manually press them down to prevent them from escaping. Afterwards boiled all my medias.. since then no more problems... keeping my fingers crossed.
sixthbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
stevieg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthbrand View Post
Where are they breeding currently? Unfortunately what can kill them will kill your fishes as well. Your best bet will be to dose Midgex but it only targets larvae stage. I had an infestation in my sump. Cleanwrapped my whole sump, filled water to the brim and manually press them down to prevent them from escaping. Afterwards boiled all my medias.. since then no more problems... keeping my fingers crossed.
thanks bro. used mozz ban and it worked. problem is have mosquis coming in from outside the house and they cluster around my tanks which are at the window. dun think they are breeding at the tanks but they are definitely attracted to them.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
radiolite22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieg View Post
thanks bro. used mozz ban and it worked. problem is have mosquis coming in from outside house and they cluster around my tanks which are at the window. dun think they are breeding at the tanks but they are definitely attracted to them.
Can consider using those gadget with uv light that attracts them and kills them with electric current... think it's call mosquito trap or something... malaysia at KSL saw people promoting but never check price...
Old 03-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Vitor
Dragon

yup saw one at DIY shop recently when i was at west gate walking ard.
85 bucks ...with black UV and with adjust to open vents. so close it will off.
and there is a light sensor for u to set day off and night on, or always on.

those got a like a cylinder shape with UV bulb, then fan, then below got a cage like containment.

not bad.
also sell another UVa/b/c bulb. , think the black UV is for flying insect only.
Vitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
JinJin
Arofanatic

Those using UV light and electrical current is not very effective. I have seen a house fly touring my home and attracted by the UV light only after 3 hours of operation.

Worst will be those mini one that sell below $20.
Spider built a web there has more changes to catch a fly.

The one with the fan blow down toward a sticky patch might be a better solution.
But I reckon the sticky patch might need to refill now and then and the whole setup is not cheap.
JinJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
stevieg
Dragon

Thanks bros for your advise. it seems there is no such thing as a fish-safe insecticide! must use the more conventional methods i guess.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
Mirage Aquatic

Arofanatic

You can use Midget. Very safe even when overdose. I used it for my ray pond no issues at all.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #9
vendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Aquatic View Post
You can use Midget. Very safe even when overdose. I used it for my ray pond no issues at all.

What's Midget bro? I recently had some mozzie larva when cycling tank. But no issue now. I siphon then out with air hose
Old 08-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #10
stevieg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Aquatic View Post
am using mozz Ban bro. Good for water. no mozzies breeding. but there are mozzies coming in from outside cos i live 2nd floor so need a spray to whack them!