Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 19-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Tarzan78
Dragon

Default AF JAPAN GUPPY FARM - Ultimate guide to high standard breeding

A very useful link to share...
Every guppy lovers should know who/what/where is AF JAPAN/TAIWAN GUPPY FARM.

http://www.360doc.com/content/09/122...11557526.shtml

Not surprising that it's all written in mandarin as the taiwanese and japanese are still the pioneers in guppy breeding. I will try to translate into english for more bros to understand and try to be as pin-point as possible.

This post, I will focus on their breeding methodolgy since it's of more importance to us compared to their commercial maintenance of their tank setup. And I've been following their methodology for my albino lace gup which gain good growth and breeding results.

Breeding pointers from the link:

Point 3 (Mating)
- AF farm uses 18litre tank for 8pc male/female breeding as they found out this is the best size for high 'hit rate' and lowest probability of disease spreading. For us who dont have such space, just ratio it down for your numbers.
-AF farm uses males of 2-3mth old & females of 2.5-3mth old. Females should have their 1st drop by 4th mth. Because even if her genes are good, any female that have her 1st drop after 4mth old will not have better offsprings.

Point 4 (Breeding)
- 1st drop will range ard 25 fries, 2nd drop ard 35 fries. (Proabably bcos the females are 2.5-3mth young). AF farm do not use fries after the 2nd drop! As they believe their fries attributes will not surpass the 1st & 2nd drop.

Point 5 (Fries Upkeep and Sexing)
- 7-10days old fries are moved to 30liter tank (recomended for 50-60fries max) Again, ratio it down to your brood size.
- AF farm sex their fries between 3-4 weeks old. (I read from separate articles that it is for the fries to keep their male/female hormones unaffected)

Point 6
- Fries are raised for 2.5-3mth old before releasing to market. During this time, water change is 90% every 5 days! This is to climatise the fries to various water parameters so that they will have higher adaptation. (I read from separate articles that it is also to maximise their growth)

For full reading, please refer to the link.
Happy gupping!
Tarzan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
angelo
Senior Dragon

These are just general guide lines. Not for all strains.
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Tarzan78
Dragon

Yup... To each strain it's own, I guess.
Old 19-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
GupFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan78 View Post
A very useful link to share...
Every guppy lovers should know who/what/where is AF JAPAN/TAIWAN GUPPY FARM.
Thanks for the summary breeding tips!
I suck at reading chinese (even though I'm a chinese. blah. :P)
So ... anyway, I'm fairly new to guppying. Can you explain who/what/where is AF guppy farm please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
These are just general guide lines. Not for all strains.
Boss, would you care to elaborate please?
For which strains would these general guidelines not be applied to? And why?
I'm thinking of following these guidelines for my albino gold, snakeskin, and dunkel red strains. Would that be ok?
Old 19-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Tarzan78
Dragon

[QUOTE=GupFan;9042942]Thanks for the summary breeding tips!
I suck at reading chinese (even though I'm a chinese. blah. :P)
So ... anyway, I'm fairly new to guppying. Can you explain who/what/where is AF guppy farm please?

It seems like AF Japan Guppy Farm is the Alpha & Omega of the guppy world. Other articles even credit them as the pioneers for gupps status in Japan today!
If u ask me, maybe they are like the QianHu in local context, just that they ONLY sell guppies!
Because from my reading, all hobbyist, breeders, sellers, etc will, at one point or another, make reference to their Research&Development, quality fish coming out from this AF Guppy Farm.
See this American hobbyist link also: http://www.fullredguppy.com/product/afjapanbook.html

For the benefit of bros who don't read mandarin. Here is their alarming statistics & their scale of gup breeding:

(AF Japan Guppy Farm)
Setup: 1994, 2nd Nov
Total capacity: Approx 1522 tanks. 30cm: 608, 36cm: 6, 40cm: 264, 45cm: 50, 60cm: 384.

(AF Taiwan Guppy Farm)
Setup: 1998, April
Total capacity: Approx 500 x 100cm tanks.

I'm very impressed... WOW!...
Happy Gupping!
Old 19-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
R_F
Dragon

Should be a good read, thank you for the upload.
R_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
GupFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan78 View Post
(AF Japan Guppy Farm)
Setup: 1994, 2nd Nov
Total capacity: Approx 1522 tanks. 30cm: 608, 36cm: 6, 40cm: 264, 45cm: 50, 60cm: 384.
Thanks bro for the explanation.
Gosh.. imagine the wc on 1522 tanks! But I suppose they have some kind of automation on that scale.
Old 23-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Tarzan78
Dragon

Default Tip: Water temperature, feeding & sexing.

Further sharing from reading...
http://www.360doc.com/content/10/012...14263770.shtml

Translating:

Point 1 (Temperature):

- The optimum temp. for guppy is between 22-26degree. Adult fish are kept lower around 24-26degree while juvenile are kept higher ard 24-26degree. (we know that these temp are difficult to maintain in all summer singapore) Some will increase the temp. to 28degree for faster growth as the metalbolism of the the juvenile will be increased and therefore better appetite. However there will be side effects.
- Interestingly, experienced breeders attest that breeder fish harvested from cooler season are better than those harvested from warmer season.
- Do note that fish kept in high temp. will grow faster AND have a shorter lifespan than fish kept in lower temperature. Therefore, alot of breeders will raise fries in high temp. for faster growth, but keep their breeder older fishes at lower temp. to prolong their lifespan.

Point 2 (Feeding):

- 1st day fries are not fed as they live off the egg sac on their bodies. Let them fully absorb their egg sac and feed them on from 2nd days onwards. This will help in their absorption of food and shitting.
- Rule of the thumb: Feed more when young, feed less when old. They have a saying:" Force feed within 4 weeks, Aggresive feed within 2 months, Feed well within 3-4 months, feed less after 5 months".
- Albino juveniles have poorer eyesight and other senses compared to non-albino juveniles, hence, they should be kept separated for better growth.

Point 3 (Sexing):

- Should be done as early as possible, 3-4 weeks. This is to prevent males from 'wasting their energies' chasing after females when it should be directed for their own growth.

Happy Gupping!...
Old 24-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
GupFan

Thanks again. Appreciate the translation.
I'm feeding my young fries less than a month old 3 times a day. 2 of which are live bbs feeds, and the remaining feed with powder food (from ocean-free) plus decap bse.
I switch to dry food plus a mix of frozen brine shrimps, daphnia and blood worms after they turn about a month plus.
They seem to be growing decently fast.

With your post's advice, I'm adding a 80% wc to my fries tank to my regime. Hopefully it will improve the growth process further.

But I'm still waiting on boss Angelo's advice on why it doesn't work on all strains...
Old 24-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
angelo
Senior Dragon

Very much depend on type of strain.

- Albino vs wild vs blonde and etc. <-- Which type needs more water capacity?
- Solid colour vs grass vs lace. <-- Which type needs older age to enable selection of breeder?
- Long tail fin vs short tail fin. <-- Which type of male swim faster?

and more...
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote