Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 23-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #21
angelo
Senior Dragon

The little hook at the end is very important. If trimed, chance is zero. On the other hand, if too long with the little hook there, chances is there but very low.
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #22
R_F
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannel View Post
If you have a female, then yes. Crossing to the same type would at least ensure the color is consistent in the fry. Trying to get the ribbon gene to be expressed in the later filial generations is a whole different ballgame. Suffice to say, you will not see any ribbon guppies in the F1 generation (due to the ribbon gene being recessive, i think). If you manage to cross an F1 female and an F1 male and be lucky enough for both to be carrying the ribbon gene, the resulting fry would then have a 25% chance to express the ribbon gene (rr, rR, Rr, RR).

I'm not 100% sure my genetics is correct. So anyone who knows better should chime in.

Ribbon gene is dominant. Using a normal finned male bred to a ribbon female will give you about 50% ribbon fries.
R_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
vannel

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_F View Post
Ribbon gene is dominant. Using a normal finned male bred to a ribbon female will give you about 50% ribbon fries.
I stand corrected. Never really thought the ribbon gene would be a dominant trait since we don't usually see a lot of them around. Well, if the gene is indeed dominant, then its a whole lot easier. Once again, in theory, you should then be able to maintain the strain by constant outcrossing to a normal finned line or hopefully, be one of the lucky people who finds their young males are capable of hitting the females before their gonopodium grows too long.
Old 24-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #24
leavemeuntitled
Dragon

Default !!!!!!!!

Happy thing!!i find the tank very different and saw some little dot in the tank this morning!Didnt know how it happen or what happen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zap9CAS1zhg&feature=plcp
Sry for the lousy quality vid!
I have removed the male from the female

A total of 5 lil fries,think there are still some in the female's tummy.

Not too sure im on the right track cause this is my first time having them breeding,i have some question.
What should i do when the female is done dropping?
When should i start feeding the fries?
How should i go about the adding aged water or doing WC?
leavemeuntitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #25
MiyukiRei
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavemeuntitled View Post
Happy thing!!i find the tank very different and saw some little dot in the tank this morning!Didnt know how it happen or what happen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zap9CAS1zhg&feature=plcp
Sry for the lousy quality vid!
I have removed the male from the female

A total of 5 lil fries,think there are still some in the female's tummy.

Not too sure im on the right track cause this is my first time having them breeding,i have some question.

Hi bro just wanna share with you my setup of a pair of panda from angelo.

I normally dont do anything. Cause i put plants in the tank so the babies can hide. Then just feed normally. Get the fries out ASAP. parents do eat fries.

I first day see them also start feeding le. I use boon aka, daphnia . so its like when baby hungry then go eat. So i dont really measure when to start but just check the boon amount regularly

Normal aged water used with other tanks. nothing much just make sure chlorine and chloramine is gone. But i think you know more about this area so yeah.. Happy GUppying
MiyukiRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #26
leavemeuntitled
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiyukiRei View Post
Hi bro just wanna share with you my setup of a pair of panda from angelo.

I normally dont do anything. Cause i put plants in the tank so the babies can hide. Then just feed normally. Get the fries out ASAP. parents do eat fries.

I first day see them also start feeding le. I use boon aka, daphnia . so its like when baby hungry then go eat. So i dont really measure when to start but just check the boon amount regularly

Normal aged water used with other tanks. nothing much just make sure chlorine and chloramine is gone. But i think you know more about this area so yeah.. Happy GUppying
Thanks for sharing,i have already separate the fries btw what is the plant you are using?do you take them out at night?
Old 25-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #27
MiyukiRei
Dragon

Bro im not sure what plant is it but its the $1 type from lfs. Maybe someone can help ID. I don't take out the plants at night. Lazy guy. Hahaha cause my tanks are at the balcony. So yeah leave it to sunlight for plants to supply oxygen.
MiyukiRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
leavemeuntitled
Dragon

Noted will look around when i visit LFS!