Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 17-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
flautism

Default Cotton Fungus

Hi,

Lately my whole batch of female guppies got hit by cotton fungus and fin rot. The last time it happened was due to green water and exposure to sun as the tanks are placed near my balcony. They were fine when I moved them from the balcony to one of my spare rooms when I went overseas so that my mother need not walk upstairs to help me feed them. So when I returned from my trip I moved them back up and after a couple of weeks the whole tank got infected. Started off with water turning green but after reading from some of the bros here, they said green water is okay but I do still do regular WCs. Anyway the whole batch were too badly infected to be saved. Any tips on how to prevent such incidents from happening again? Will covering the tanks with drapes or cloth help so that the tanks won't get exposed to prolong sunlight which quickens the rate of green water?
Old 17-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
R_F
Dragon

I doubt it was the green water that caused the disease. Fish are susceptible to diseases when they are stressed or injured.
You can try some yellow powder or antibiotics for treating them.
R_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
flautism

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_F View Post
I doubt it was the green water that caused the disease. Fish are susceptible to diseases when they are stressed or injured.
You can try some yellow powder or antibiotics for treating them.
Hi bro,

what is this yellow powder you are mentioning and where can i get them & the antibiotics?
Old 17-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Sgguppylover
Arofanatic

Yellow powder can be found at most local fish shop at $2 per packet.Try the 3rd generation ocean free yellow powder, it is more effective in my opinion.When using it, do water change with some aged water each day till the yellow tint goes off.If after the yellow tint goes off, the guppies are still sick, add the yellow powder in large quantities to the water and continue to water change till the yellow tint goes off everyday once.If then, never recover, you will need to get Melafix already...
Sgguppylover is offline   Reply With Quote