Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 18-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
GupFan

Default Air pumps

Recently my air pumps are starting to give me problems. One of them is a 2-outlet pump, one outlet completely stopped emitting air. I have another 6-outlet pump, 2 outlets completely gave way and 1 outlet spits out very weak air pressure.

I don't overwork my pumps. I usually use the "low" mode in most cases, i.e. I don't put them on overdrive. They are placed either same or above the water level of my tanks. Most of my pumps are less than 2 or 3 months old.

Are air pump failures common ? How long does it last for you guys before it breaks down? What are the more reliable brands out there?

Another frustrating thing that happened today. I took the 2-outlet pump back to the LFS where I bought. I explained that I bought it for less than a month and it broke down, hoping that since I'm a regular customer, they would do an exchange for me. At first, they immediately claim that they don't sell this brand (which they clearly did...) Then, I was told rudely it's my bad luck, and finally even accused that I could have bought it from a different LFS and was trying to pull a fast one at their LFS. Needless to say, I was terribly disappointed since I had spent literally hundreds there. I can accept that they don't do exchanges and pumps don't normally come with warranty, but to be accused like this is totally uncalled for. Oh well... just another bad day for me I guess.
Old 18-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Ircknight
Dragon

Sometime is not the airpump problems. You might want to do a 100% cleaning on the sponge filter. Inside got a spot some time block with black dirt. As for cheap airpump with 4 outlets try ocean free bettle. Been using more then a year.
Ircknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
R_F
Dragon

Go for big pumps like Hiblow or Atman, no hassle and sure worth the money.
R_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
kskhonda

wa..they r quite rude to you.
Old 18-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
rnkw

Wah bro. Really bad luck. Sorry to hear that. By right air pumps should last for at least a year. Normal ones can last for 2-3 years. Although the power may decrease over time. But I think since you are now serious into guppy try hiblow. You seldom hear complains about it. And hopefully you don't let what the lfs say about you affect you too much. You know you're not this kind of person can alr. Don't let the words of someone who does not know you affect yourself. Stay happy. Enjoy guppying.
Old 19-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
star

bro, which lfs is that? so unprofessional..
Old 19-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Tarzan78
Dragon

Ya man... Let us be wary of those lfs. Hope u get a good pump to last u. ^^
Tarzan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
Red203

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_F View Post
Go for big pumps like Hiblow or Atman, no hassle and sure worth the money.
Yes, should try Hiblow. reasonable price and last for long time and totally silent. Mine bought from C328 and in used now for about 6 years.
Old 21-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
GupFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
bro, which lfs is that? so unprofessional..
That's Polyart from C328, not to be confused with Clementi florist also at C328.

I had a much better experience yesterday with OTF. Remember on my first post, I mentioned two of my pumps were down? The 2-outlet pump was from Polyart, and the 6-outlet pump (brand name Resun) was from OTF. The uncle at OTF was very professional. He took the broken pump, and open it up to check for a while. After trying without much success, he gave me a brand new one in exchange! I was like... wow, very impressed! The best outcome I was expecting is perhaps a good discount for the purchase of a replacement pump. But OTF definitely surprised me with a free replacement.

I now know where to go for my aqua supplies in future.
It's a pity they don't carry the hiblow brand, else I would really consider buying one from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkw View Post
And hopefully you don't let what the lfs say about you affect you too much. You know you're not this kind of person can alr. Don't let the words of someone who does not know you affect yourself. Stay happy. Enjoy guppying.
No worries bro. I'm not sore with Polyart's nasty remarks. I went on spending my work day productively in office that day. I was just disappointed that it was the boss of Polyart who made that remark. He and the other uncles working there recognises me as a regular. And I meant it when I say I literally spent hundreds buying stuff from them, and I always buy without bargaining. I'm sure they won't miss me as a customer with that kind of business attitude. Anyway from now on, for whatever my spending is worth, it's OTF's gain and Polyart's loss.
Old 21-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

maybe can consider buying buying a hiblow baby or hiblow 10.
I already given up hope on those cheap pump, noisy and less powerful after a while, not like my HB20, don't even know it exists..
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote