Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 16-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
papa_angler

Default Crs haven small container keeping shrimp

Hi all,
I saw those nice looking airtight containers with shrimps inside at crs haven.boss said no need open no need feed cos there is small moss ball tied to twig for it to feed on.boss claim there are volcanic shrimps that can live for years in the small container.I doubt it's true,can anyone advise whether his claims are true?
By the way,they are very expensive.
Old 17-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
ccm

yah... i tink i saw before.. i know of a guy who sells moss ball in bottles as decorative items who rear these shrimps, he kept the shrimps as decorative item.. HAHAHA..
Old 17-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
lucas_1957
Dragon

science centre also have. These shrimps are very hardy, can live in freshwater to saltwater conditions, and can tolerate very high temperatures. in the wild they live in those volcanic pools that have very harsh conditions (this part i not sure, maybe someone can verify?).

However, i feel their hardiness is over-rated. Imagine the poor shrimp surviving on algae for its whole life, it will not get enough nutrients, even if it doesnt die immediately, its lifespan will be shortened. Furthermore, i think if you make the bottle airtight, sooner or later there will be too much of oxygen or carbon dioxide, then the imbalance in gases will affect the shrimp or plant.

If you want the shrimps, i think can get from Silane, i think he was selling it last time, you can ask him.
lucas_1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

its been proven those are actually torture spheres.. so now crs haven selling torture container? haha..
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
Sinubux

Nothing beats novelty.
Old 17-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
lucas_1957
Dragon

Basically, just dont buy it. Once you buy it, you are encouraging these cruel acts. It would be better to keep them in a normal tank. You can experience the joy of feeding them and seeing them dash for the food.
lucas_1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
BettaCloud

Anyone with a pict to show? Crs haven, where is it? Sorry im a total noob but i wanna learn from u all!
Old 17-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #8
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_1957 View Post
science centre also have. These shrimps are very hardy, can live in freshwater to saltwater conditions, and can tolerate very high temperatures. in the wild they live in those volcanic pools that have very harsh conditions (this part i not sure, maybe someone can verify?).

However, i feel their hardiness is over-rated. Imagine the poor shrimp surviving on algae for its whole life, it will not get enough nutrients, even if it doesnt die immediately, its lifespan will be shortened. Furthermore, i think if you make the bottle airtight, sooner or later there will be too much of oxygen or carbon dioxide, then the imbalance in gases will affect the shrimp or plant.

If you want the shrimps, i think can get from Silane, i think he was selling it last time, you can ask him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
its been proven those are actually torture spheres.. so now crs haven selling torture container? haha..
I dont like to talk about my sales here, but I need to clarify for the welfare of these shrimps. I am against to put them in a sealed bottle, IMO, it is a torture chamber to the shrimp to me. If one would to do some reading, these shrimps have very long life (10 to 20 years) and when they put into a bad enviroment, their live is shortened to 1 to 2 years.

Yes, their hardiness is over-rated in a sealed containers and however, their hardiness can outrun any species of shrimps I have ever known, if treat them well.

I breed them in a large normal tank, with filters, and feed them with Shrimpton and water change every quarter. And they produce well. If any one think a seal glass bottle is an ideal enviroment or even a good enough enviroment, can he/she get them breed in a sealed glass bottle??

Last edited by silane; 17-03-2011 at 01:41 AM.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #9
avex30

let just say they are there to hmmm......... woosh those that have VERY DEEP POCKET.
Old 17-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #10
_kai_
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
I dont like to talk about my sales here, but I need to clarify for the welfare of these shrimps. I am against to put them in a sealed bottle, IMO, it is a torture chamber to the shrimp to me. If one would to do some reading, these shrimps have very long life (10 to 20 years) and when they put into a bad enviroment, their live is shortened to 1 to 2 years.

Yes, their hardiness is over-rated in a sealed containers and however, their hardiness can outrun any species of shrimps I have ever known, if treat them well.

I breed them in a large normal tank, with filters, and feed them with Shrimpton and water change every quarter. And they produce well. If any one think a seal glass bottle is an ideal enviroment or even a good enough enviroment, can he/she get them breed in a sealed glass bottle??
This is bad news...such a dramatic drop in the poor shrimp's lifespan. I hope the shop keepers and buyers would reconsider selling/buying them...What people do for money is sometimes too cruel . Roughly how big is the container CRS haven packs them in?
_kai_ is offline   Reply With Quote