Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 21-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
Ningning
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiyan View Post
Maybe I tell you what I did and that'll shed some light. And I welcome any comments so I can really learn from this.

First I bought some new plants with the intention to create more hiding places for the news shrimps and babies. So I shifted the existing plants in the tank to make room. In the process, I might have upsetted the PH level in the tank since the bottom of the tank is sand and some debris may have been unsettled. In all honesty, I was really gentle and was doing my best to keep the sand as stable as I can. The shrimps were probably also scared by the movement of the plants. The thing I don't understand is why so severe cos' I have done this before and they were ok.

Second, the newly bought CS started going into shock when I float the plastic bags in the tank for about 2 hours to acclimatise them. I immediately transported them home after I bought them to minimise trama. I also scooped some water from the tank into the plastic bag and left for for 30 minutes before repeating the process. Before I could release them I could see some of them twitching and some frozen. Is there something else I'm missing in the steps?
1) did you soak the plants first? shrimps are not fishes and are more sensitve to EVERYTHING.

some plants might have insectide or anything tt contain copper. a good shrimp keeper will keep this rule of thumb. ALWAYS soak whatever you intend to put into the tank for a few days and rinse before putting it in.

2) Acclimatising is not floating a bag in the water and hoping that the shrimps will get used to the water.

acclimatising, the general most used method is the drip method. we drip the water into the existing water that the shrimps are in to allow them time to get used to it.

how it works. its like.. ur sitting in a tub naked of lukewarm water. someone comes in and dumps another tub of boiling hot water into the tub that ur sitting in. u sure tio burn and feel like dying right.

drip method is like.u sitting in the same tub, me using boiling hot water but dripping it drop by drop for u to get used to the heat.
Ningning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
caiyan

QUOTE=Ningning;83366741) did you soak the plants first? shrimps are not fishes and are more sensitve to EVERYTHING.

some plants might have insectide or anything tt contain copper. a good shrimp keeper will keep this rule of thumb. ALWAYS soak whatever you intend to put into the tank for a few days and rinse before putting it in.
[Ok, i guess I learnt this the hard way. I did try to rinse the plant with dechlorinated water before putting in but clearly this is not enough. Ok, i will take notice.]

2) Acclimatising is not floating a bag in the water and hoping that the shrimps will get used to the water.
[Yes I understand. Apart from floating, I also tried to scoop water from the tank and added to the plastic bag and repeated a few times. This info was picked up after reading some articles from the internet. Guess this is the wrong method. ]

acclimatising, the general most used method is the drip method. we drip the water into the existing water that the shrimps are in to allow them time to get used to it.

how it works. its like.. ur sitting in a tub naked of lukewarm water. someone comes in and dumps another tub of boiling hot water into the tub that ur sitting in. u sure tio burn and feel like dying right.
<Yes, I can finally picture what the poor CS went through. Great analogy. >

drip method is like.u sitting in the same tub, me using boiling hot water but dripping it drop by drop for u to get used to the heat.
<ok, newbie question, how to drip? Open the bag and used some dropper to drip the water slowly? For how long and until what concentration i.e. what % old water vs tank water before they are ready? Sorry I know I shouldn't be asking these questions here. I will surely read up the newbie FAQs in this forum.
Old 21-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
caiyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianz_410 View Post
Hi Bro Caiyan, if you want a few pcs of CS I don't mind passing you for your come back! =)
Hi Brianz_410, really sweet of you. BTW it's Sis here not bro

At this point, I need to read more and brush up my knowledge before making any moves. I don't want to 'claim' any more innocent shrimp lives due to inadequate knowhow or carelessness.

Most likely I might contemplate a small shrimp tank without fishes (if I can convince my other half).
Thank you for your offer nonetheless. You're really kind.

Great forum and great people here!
Old 21-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
Xmant
Dragon

Was your water suitable for shrimp before releasing them in your tank?
Xmant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
caiyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmant View Post
Was your water suitable for shrimp before releasing them in your tank?
I guess the water was 'suitable' before I did all the wrong stuff like shifting the plant and adding new plants. Clearly, it became unsuitable after.
Lessons learnt liao.
Old 21-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
newlife
Dragon

Hi Bro CaiYan.....cheer up....Humans do mistakes....

Need any Cherries do let me know...
newlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #17
jowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife View Post
Hi Bro CaiYan.....cheer up....Humans do mistakes....

Need any Cherries do let me know...
lol bro... she aready say is a sis le... still call her "bro"
anyway sis... understand how u feel.. i tink i m worse than u..
very early stage when i totally didnt noe abt how sensitive shrimps are..
i made alot of mistakes n cos alot of deaths of the shrimps i bought...
worse thing is once i use coral chips to be my base... which is totally gone case..
Old 21-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #18
soonhong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowy View Post
lol bro... she aready say is a sis le... still call her "bro"
anyway sis... understand how u feel.. i tink i m worse than u..
very early stage when i totally didnt noe abt how sensitive shrimps are..
i made alot of mistakes n cos alot of deaths of the shrimps i bought...
worse thing is once i use coral chips to be my base... which is totally gone case..
just learn from mistake....and don't repeat again....and enjoy shrimp hobby..
Old 21-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #19
jowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonhong View Post
just learn from mistake....and don't repeat again....and enjoy shrimp hobby..
of cos... learn alot alot liao... now i happy with my tank.. maybe in the future will upgrade again
Old 21-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #20
soonhong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowy View Post
of cos... learn alot alot liao... now i happy with my tank.. maybe in the future will upgrade again
wah ..upgrade ah...rich man....