Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 01-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #71
sherchoo
Arofanatic

After the tank upgrade, the existing lighting hood did not fit well as the original tank has curved front corners and the crystal glass tank did not.

Decided to get some timber and modified the hood. Now the hood is hinged and i will have easy access to my tank.

It function well now but I'm not completely satisfied with the finishing of the bare wood. Looking for solutions on how to laminate the wood.

sherchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #72
sherchoo
Arofanatic

Default Wooden frame covered with Oyama Sticker

Old 03-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #73
AroDynamic
Arofanatic

Upgrade = more fishes Awesome
AroDynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:33 AM   #74
sherchoo
Arofanatic

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:38 AM   #75
sherchoo
Arofanatic

High Nitrate issues

Been noticing my fish colour turning dull and dark especially the blue ones. Did a search on the web and most pointed to poor water quality. Tested my water and indeed the nitrates were sky high @ 160ppm. Did a 50% WC abnd it came down to ~80ppm. But after the WC the fish showed all sorts of distress i.e. low mobility, flashing, rubbing body on sand. Urghh... now I'm stressed. There was nothin much I could do but just monitor for 24hrs. Woke up the next morning and they were all swimming actively as per normal. So, I'm gonna avoid these huge WC from now on.. but the high nitrate problem will still come back again. So back to the web again.... and someone had suggested Aquaponics. i'll share the links below since it's their idea.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video

After some thinking and off to buy the necessary materials, some drilling, cutting and tying, I have my OHF. I've also used Seachem De*Nitrate media to power-up the NO3 removal. Other media is lava rock which I wanted the plants to anchor to.

No3 measurement
Before installation: 80ppm
Day 1 after installation: 40ppm
Day 2 after installation: 20ppm
Day 3 after installation: 5~10ppm

Plants that are in there are Pothos, Cobomba & Salvinia Natans. Fish colours are starting to improve which means the NO3 is the most likely cause of the colour degradation.

Will continue to monitorand and hopefully the plants does a good job soaking up the water waste. If the NO3 is kept low, I might not even need to do water change.... wishful thinking
Old 08-04-2016, 12:44 AM   #76
sherchoo
Arofanatic

Realised i attached the wrong link fo rthe 2nd video.

YouTube Video
Old 10-04-2016, 11:18 PM   #77
sherchoo
Arofanatic

After back to regular feeding amount NO3 is maintaining at 5ppm. If this continues, i don't need to do water change already. Can that be true?
Old 11-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #78
seikomania

Looks diffcult to set up...Is it hard? Where did u get your plants?hmmmm .. Whats ppm???
seikomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #79
sherchoo
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seikomania View Post
Looks diffcult to set up...Is it hard? Where did u get your plants?hmmmm .. Whats ppm???
It was a bit tricky to get the right materials cos the limitarion of space the hood. If it's an open top then it is super simple. I already shared the DIY video which gives you a good idea how it's done. Plants are quite common type and can be found in nurseries and lfs that carries plants.

PPM = parts per minute. Google it if you want to understand more.

Actually, most of my ideas are found via Google and some imagination... try it, you be suprise how easy it is.
Old 14-04-2016, 05:09 AM   #80
trueblue82
Arofanatic

my 4ft tank i always do 70-80% wc each week the cichlids no problem.
trueblue82 is offline   Reply With Quote