Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 22-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
uluaking

Default Basic Theory Lesson of Keeping Rays for newbie...

Since the lift of ban from selling rays in LFS..... I can see many newbies started to rear rays now.... First of all, Welcome to the ray keeping community.....

Rays have many different species to choose from. Whatever rays it is, it has its own beauty. The best thing is buy within your budget means and buy what you like.

Rays unlike other fishes are more prone to water parameters conditions. Before making decison to buy rays, check your water condition in your tank first. Most beginners tends to make such mistake as they would want to buy rays into their tanks asap. This is a grave mistake. If your water condition is not good for rays..... the new rays you bought will end up in the dustbin within a week. Do take note of such....

Favorable water condition should be as such:

Water PH Level: 6.5 to 7.5
Nitrate : 0ppm
Nitrite : 0ppm
Ammonia : 0ppm

For Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia, a slight difference is acceptable in the range of 0.25 but big difference will be a disaster. So please take note of such.

Second Point beginners should take note of is your water changing habit.... As most of us said.. "Rear good fish must first rear water" . Practice Water changing habit twice per week about 10~20%. Rays Bioload is equivalent to 3 times an arowana. Meaning you have one ray in your tank equals to 3 arowanas purchase. Practice every feeding left over Must be cleared off to prevent ammonia build up.

Third point.....

Train your rays to feed on Frozen food like Marke prawn, Sotong, Tamban, Smelt and refrain from feeding Live Feeders as much as possible. Live parasite infested feeders are most commonly found in packets of Live feeders you bought in the LFS. All you need is just one live parasite infected feeder to be consumed by any of your rays.... you will have big problem later on... For everybody knowleage, there is no readily available medicine for any specific cure for rays if they got parasite and not visible sign of infection can be seen from the appearance. By the time you find your rays not eating and behaving strange... chance of survival is 15%

Forth Point.....

A good filtration system is a must for your rays ..... water recycle good water parameter will maintain at a certain level with minimum changes. A constant high and low changes in water parameter will affect the survival rate of the rays definitely..... Practice 3 months ~6 months cleaning of your sump or over flows filtration.... if your water is good rays will be flying here and there and lively

Fifth Point......

Some of the Rays keeper they put salt into their tank ..... For me, I dont put salt at all .... Incorrect proportion of salt content will burn your rays. Thus to prevent such silly mistake, I would suggest not to do with salt.. Rather I would suggest ray keeper to have an UV light installed. It is the same effect of killing any harmful bacteria in your water.... The next item is a must ... A heater set at 28degree. This heater will help heal scratches/scar faster than without it.... rays thrive at 28degree.....

As long as any beginners remember the basic rules of ray keeping, I am sure everybody who started rays will be deeply poisoned and upgrades rays... Hope my limited experience, help for the future ray community. I am sure all the experienced brothers here are able to help anyone who needs aids. Enjoy Ray keeping and once again welcome to the dark side ....
Old 22-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
butter_cup
Arofanatic

Wow all the good points are out, thanks for those info.
butter_cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
aro-spino
Senior Dragon

That's a very sound advise for newbie like myself. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

But I do have a question with regards to heater temp set to 28 deg. If our ambient temp is more than this setting, is the heater still necessary as the water temp may rise beyond that? Thks.

Last edited by aro-spino; 22-11-2010 at 02:10 PM.
aro-spino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
uluaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro-spino View Post
That's a very sound advise for newbie like myself. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

But I do have a question with regards to heater temp set to 28 deg. If our ambient temp is more than this setting, is the heater still necessary as the water temp may rise beyond that? Thks.
yes necessary ......cos in the night temp will drop and the heater will automatic light on to heat up the water ..... to maintain at 28 degree. From what i have monitored ....afternoon to night time temperature varies from 25 degree to 29 degree
Old 22-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
S2whiplash
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uluaking View Post
yes necessary ......cos in the night temp will drop and the heater will automatic light on to heat up the water ..... to maintain at 28 degree. From what i have monitored ....afternoon to night time temperature varies from 25 degree to 29 degree
Erm bro how do i use the heater? I thought it will burn the ray??? I have a heater at home but duno how to use. I scared it will overheat the tank.
S2whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
uluaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2whiplash View Post
Erm bro how do i use the heater? I thought it will burn the ray??? I have a heater at home but duno how to use. I scared it will overheat the tank.
Hang the heater on one corner of the tank. When you buy a heater, it is normally supplied with a holder with suction pad ....heater have a thermostat knob on it.... for you to set the temperature when it activate..
Old 22-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
ElectricBlue
Dragon

Quote:
Hang the heater on one corner of the tank. When you buy a heater, it is normally supplied with a holder with suction pad ....heater have a thermostat knob on it.... for you to set the temperature when it activate..
Would it be advisable to put the heater in the sump instead?

Kudos to TS for great tips.
ElectricBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
uluaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricBlue View Post
Would it be advisable to put the heater in the sump instead?

Kudos to TS for great tips.
some guys did that .....
Old 22-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
sebarau
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2whiplash View Post
best is use heater guard. you can DIY your self with plastic mesh. as even you stick the heater high up the wall, ray still can climb up and hurt them self..

Thanks to uluaking on the reminder on the tips.. for me.. the best is KISS method.. Keep it simple.. Do regular WC, adequate filter system, sufficient food, ample space for the ray..they will live there happily ever after.. no itchy hand do this..and that.. you'll be a happy ray keeper..

Last edited by sebarau; 22-11-2010 at 02:42 PM.
sebarau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Additional note to this.
DO NOT depend on the thermostat of the heater to be accurate.
Always have a seperate thermometer in the tank as guage.
Many heater have very inaccurate Thermostats.... yes including the "branded" Eheim/Jager ones.
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote