Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 16-12-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
octopus
Arofanatic

Default Question on pearling

Does 'pearling' occurrence means that there are no nutrients deficiency in the tank?
octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
peanut8787
Arofanatic

Not really...

It is due to many factor, etc the photosynthesis period is long enough for the plant to pearl, tank has enough WPG or more then it. Many thing contribute to your question.

Simple to put it this way, almost all of the planted tank keeper like to see their plant pearl.
peanut8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
Royston
Dragon

It means the tank is saturated with oxygen. Means plants growing damn fast therefore photosynthesis more which produce more oxygen casing the tank to be saturated(back to first sentence).

However not all the plants will be able to display this effect in the same tank only the ones which meet the above standards.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
octopus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston View Post
It means the tank is saturated with oxygen. Means plants growing damn fast therefore photosynthesis more which produce more oxygen casing the tank to be saturated(back to first sentence).

However not all the plants will be able to display this effect in the same tank only the ones which meet the above standards.
Can i rule out any deficiency basing on the pearling effect?. So that i could have less problem to take care of. Example can i assume that my co2 level is adequate or for that matter my photoperiod is ok?.
Old 17-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
Planted

Pearling occurs if ur plant is photosynthesizing. Even if u on your light 20hrs, pearling continues until ur CO2 stops and light stops. It continues even when you have lesser nutrients but the plant will not grow properly, i have plants pearl-ed so much that its almost like a bubble counter. Experimented, it ended up dying as i did not add enough nutrients.

Based on personal experience, subjective statement.
Old 17-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
octopus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted View Post
Pearling occurs if ur plant is photosynthesizing. Even if u on your light 20hrs, pearling continues until ur CO2 stops and light stops. It continues even when you have lesser nutrients but the plant will not grow properly, i have plants pearl-ed so much that its almost like a bubble counter. Experimented, it ended up dying as i did not add enough nutrients.

Based on personal experience, subjective statement.
It is not subjective. I think i can safely say it is a fact. Had this misconception that pearling means a perfect condition. But then when my plants did not grow well inspite of the pearling thought its time to get a second opinion. Thanks for the much awaited answer.