Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 30-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #61
juvenn
Dragon

sharing my new Blue kelah

Last edited by juvenn; 17-03-2011 at 01:33 PM.
juvenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #62
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvenn View Post
sharing my new Blue kelah
Just to add. This is a Thai blue kelah. In case other readers are wondering - these species are different from the Malaysian blue kelah.

I would recommend kelah lovers to have at least 2 of these. Their beauty is very unique. Keeps you intrique enough to start the Mad kelah hunt. Not for the faint hearted.

I got 4 pieces around the start of this season about 2 month plus ago. Growth rate for juveniles of 2 inches or so have amazing growth rate till it reaches around 8 inches where things start to slow down gradually till your aro (by comparison) can take over and start doing some real damage.
Old 31-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #63
juvenn
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyAmazon View Post
Just to add. This is a Thai blue kelah. In case other readers are wondering - these species are different from the Malaysian blue kelah.

I would recommend kelah lovers to have at least 2 of these. Their beauty is very unique. Keeps you intrique enough to start the Mad kelah hunt. Not for the faint hearted.

I got 4 pieces around the start of this season about 2 month plus ago. Growth rate for juveniles of 2 inches or so have amazing growth rate till it reaches around 8 inches where things start to slow down gradually till your aro (by comparison) can take over and start doing some real damage.
Thanks , currently not in my monster tank , when it reach 8 Inch then will try to house them in my Monster Comm ..

how to diffrentiate Msia and Thai Kelah ? i got 5 pcs of this kind of kelah ...
Old 31-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #64
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Thanks , currently not in my monster tank , when it reach 8 Inch then will try to house them in my Monster Comm ..

how to diffrentiate Msia and Thai Kelah ? i got 5 pcs of this kind of kelah ...
The major difference is the black lateral line and scale colouration.

- Malaysian Blue dont have the black lateral line. Silverish scales with bluish fins.
- Thai Blue have the trademark black lateral line. Gold - Bluish scale with light bluish fins.
Old 31-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #65
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM09 View Post
Then which species is it?
I'm clueless and very intrigue at the same time. It seems like all wild caught kelahs got bright red tails. The mouth position is pointing downwards like a tor tor but the fin colouration and slender body doesnt quite seem like it.

The site says it is from Bangladesh. Bangladesh Kelah - first time seeing it.
Old 31-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #66
FishyAmazon

Quote:
i seen it , should be green , but they say is red ...aunty shop is red kelah ...
I've got 2 different batches of 'red kelahs' in aunty shop. One batch have a higher body - i think is red while another batch are black tail kelahs! Very hard to tell for those barely an inch fish - moreover red kelah itself have got dunno how many variations and different rivers of origin.
Old 31-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #67
juvenn
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyAmazon View Post
I've got 2 different batches of 'red kelahs' in aunty shop. One batch have a higher body - i think is red while another batch are black tail kelahs! Very hard to tell for those barely an inch fish - moreover red kelah itself have got dunno how many variations and different rivers of origin.
i also have 1 pcs with dark tail going to Black , they claim is red Kelah , but from my point is still green , not sure which breed , size abt 10 inch
Old 31-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #68
FishyAmazon

Quote:
i also have 1 pcs with dark tail going to Black , they claim is red Kelah , but from my point is still green , not sure which breed , size abt 10 inch
10 inch quite big already. The features should be some what showing up at this size. Whatever it is, enjoy this breed cause if it's a red kelah, its very hard to pin point exactly the tor genus.

Mine had black tail and at certain angle it looks dark bluish, growth rate for this particular species very very slow for a juvenile of 2 inch. So slow that the thai blue for only 2 months already over taken over them - i had them for 6 to 7 months but they grow barely an inch!. I'll try to post some pics when time allows.

Last edited by FishyAmazon; 31-01-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #69
muser
Dragon

thanks fishyamazon for info as always. then i take it my baby blue kelah is thai too, coz got lateral line... hmm should get one more since they so seasonal...
muser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #70
grimwell

My kelah, have no idea what type it is though....