Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 03-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Default Yet Another Newbie Nano Tank

Hi all,

So I've been around the FW scene for a good number of years now (like everyone else) and I've been wanting to setup a small marine tank. Pretty much the same story as everyone else. So, let's get down to the basics..

The plan is for 1-2 clownfish (perc or occ; due to their smaller size) in my spare ADA 45-P tank (approx 9-10 gallons). No corals.

So then, question 1: is that sufficient space for a pair of small clowns? If not, just a single specimen?

Assuming the tank is sufficiently large, should I be aiming for 10-15x turnover? I'm intending to get a large HOB filter (perhaps the TOTTO, filled with Chemipure Blue: which hopefully negates the need for a protein skimmer) to handle the necessary filtration. Question 2: is that sufficient filtration and flow?

With regards to water, what's everyone's recommendation on buying seawater versus buying a refractometer and mixing your own (which brings another question: tap water or RO/DI) for such a small tank. That's question 3.

Optionally, I'm also hoping to have at least 1 anemone in there so that the clownfish will have some semblance of a biotope. I've read that in a tank that small, my options are not many. So then, question 4: what anemone can I have in the tank that would be symbiotic with clownfish.

I'm assuming live rocks and perhaps CaribSea sand should wrap up the rest of the setup? Along with a suitable LED light, of course.

Oh, and just to be clear.. Yes. I know what I'm getting into. Which is why I'm planning for it and asking for opinions before diving in.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
vadriewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Oh, pictures and other equipment recommendations are very welcome.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:49 AM   #3
KaLiB

You should be able to keep a pair of false percula clownfish in a 9-10 gallon tank but the HOB filter might not provide sufficient water movement for an anemone. You would need to consider getting a small wavemaker. Filtration wise, it should be sufficient since you would compliment it with liverock.

For me, my preference is to make my own seawater as I have control over the quality of the water. I have always used tapwater and don't have issues so far.

Personally, I have not tried keeping any clownfish with an anemone before so I do not have any actual experience on this. This site does list the species of anemones that are compatible with false percula clownfish.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Thanks for the reply. I'm now thinking of just getting a single specimen to start off. I keep forgetting that live rocks are the filters in a SW tank.

So I think, I'll probably get a Vortec MP-10 (reviews seem good) for water flow, a large HOB just to house some Chemipure Blue (again, reviews seem good), some live rocks and some aragonite sand.

I'm worried the flowrate might be too much for the clownfish. Is that going to be a problem?

Also, could you recommend a specific brand of sea salt and refractometer? Also, the sand.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
KaLiB

Vortech wavemakers are good and the flow rate should be ok for the ADA 45-P after some tuning. Liverocks would also break up the water flow.

No specific brand of sea salt to recommend but I've used Redsea and PUR Reefsalt with not much issues. I don't know the brand of the refractometer I'm using as I've gotten it many years ago from reef depot.

For the sand I personally only use regular coral sand. I would suggest going with grade c5 at the bottom with some coarser sand like c3 on top to prevent the sand from being stirred by water current. You can choose to have some small coral chips on top as well.