Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 06-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
landon22

Arrow would this monster fish combo work?

Currently i have a 150 gallon growout for my baby monsters im going to purchase (working on building an indoor pond which should be complete this spring). Anyways in the 150 i have a ph of 7.0, temp of 76-78f, great filtration, low lighting and a fine sand for a substrate with a few artificial plants here and there. Currently i have a 7 or 8 inch silver arowana in the aquarium with a 2 inch feather fin upside down catfish (surprisingly hasn't been eaten). Heres what im wanting to add to the aquarium: 1 6 inch african spotted lungfish and two aba aba knife fish at 3 inches.

I am well aware of the potential size of these fish and can most certainly provide room for them, this current tank will only be their home for a few months. Right now for food i have floating arowana sticks and sinking carnivore pellets by hikari with frozen krill and earth worms. Anything else i need to get these guys? Should i add more hiding spots? Any special advice from those who have kept these fish?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Lindwurmx
Arofanatic

hey man. I honestly do not think think an aba aba should be in ANY comm tank. These guys grow fast and destroy any tankmates. Now you say you have TWO!!!

They're gonna get into serious fights evey chance they get till one of them ends up dead. That being said when it comes to a comm tank it all also depends on your luck and the temperament of the individual fishes. If you;re lucky you aba abas are peaceful towards each other. Slim chance but one can hope.

But if you can do add lots of hidding spaces to minimise fighting.
Lindwurmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
landon22

im going to watch them, ill separate them if any fights break lose. im ordering through aquascape and they claim to keep them together. im sure ill eventually have to separate them to protect my aro, ive heard they do "okay" in a community during the first year. one site says they are slow growing, the other say quick. im working on a huge pond for these guys but am having a hard time getting info that matches up on the species except for the info on their size lol.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
landon22

should the aro be safe with the african lung for life?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

aba aba will kill all your tank mates.

lungfish have so powerful jaw that an accidental bite will tear your other fish apart.

those two are known to be kept in species-only-tank.

if you really want some long looking creatures go for bichirs or even freshwater eels / false eels like fire eels are also good in a comm.
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
landon22

i realize the abas will need to be moved to the pond, ill be keeping the aro in his own tank but shouldnt this setup last for a short period? i cant find any info on keeping two abas together but i do see pics, any info?
Old 06-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
amiidae

150gal shld hold your silver for sometime.

African lung and aba aba are not really a community fish. They are nippy and may even kill the tankmates.

Aba aba get aggressive as they mature. It is very common to see specimen with missing pectoral fins, broken tail when housing more than 2 in a tank.

amiidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
landon22

So eventually i would have to separate the pair? Speaking for the time being; how long should these fish make it together?
Old 06-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
amiidae

I doubt anyone can advise... unless you don't mind keeping a less than perfect specimen. try at your own risk.

amiidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
landon22

thanks for all the support, should be getting my monsters today