Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 20-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Steven Hing
Arofanatic

Default My Tanganyika Comm Tank Oct 2013

Hi All Tangan Kaki,

Just share my Comm Tank, Inhabitants currently are

1) about 20 pcs of non-jumbo Cyps Lepto Utinta (2-3 Variants)

2) Altos Compressiceps more than 30pcs (Goldhead, Kigoma Red, Red-Fin, Gold) From 0.5inches fries - 5inches Adults always hiding among the rocks

3) 1M2F Xenotilapia ochrogenys (there was 12pcs in the past, all other males got killed by the Alpha)

4) 1 lone Xenotilapia flavipinnis (there was 8pcs in the past, all got killed by the ochrogenys)

5) 2 L200 Lemon Pleco (super algae eater, doesn't grow big, not aggressive, can tolerate high Ph, best of all always stay away from sight)

6) 1 albino chinese algae eater, super hard working like the L200

Tank Size 5 x 2.5 x 2.5 cabinet Sump tank, 4ft sump filled with bio-home and bacteria house. Water Change once every month with dosing of baking soda, sea salt and Epsom salt, PH maintain at 8-8.3 with pin point monitor. 2 x back up ACDC pump. 2 inches thickness of "Cory Fine sand" and decorated with holey rocks.

Occasional fighting among male compressicep when female wanna spawn but because of huge hiding area among holey rocks so there are places to hide.
Like many hobbyist, in the past, I overstock my tank with many different species and variants and the fishes end up killing themselves, basically its the survival of the fittest. There was so many nice and good fishes that dies due to my silly mistakes of comming them that i lose count. Once, 90% of my fishes got wipe out becos of calculating the wrong dosage of water to buffer ratio.

Learning the hard way of comming and basically more 'heck-care' attitude now on the water perimeter, i think its more peaceful and the fishes survives better.

http://youtu.be/XFsrwTeA_Fs

http://youtu.be/7Q6ZviLaCf4
Steven Hing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Brichardi
Dragon

Thanks for sharing!

Like me too if I put them into my 5ft community tank it's the survival of the fittest! However, they have to adapt to my style too as I do NOT add anything except anti-chlorine during water changes. I just let my coral/s + coral sand do the buffering for ph. Lack of the 60+ minerals of the rift lakes though!
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
gyjd
Arofanatic

used to see many other tanga in yr tanks but now seems like sardines are the main lead now, even the nos. of altos are much lesser.
only consolations are the increased population of the juvenile altos, time to go pack some from u soon
gyjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
Steven Hing
Arofanatic

Default Lots of Altos

Hi bro,

There are still a lots of Big Big Comp inside the tank, all shy shy as usual no come out. Probably about 20-30 adults ones inside. Excludes these babies...

Babies i lost count but all still small nia... But lepto schooling together is very smoothing to watch.... No chasing and darting like in the past
Steven Hing is offline   Reply With Quote