Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 31-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #11
canopy
Dragon

Not suitable for pleco comms i think. Followed the instruction and somehow every water change sure have a few casualties.
Reverting back to seachem safe solved the problem. Not sure what went wrong.
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:47 PM   #12
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopy View Post
Not suitable for pleco comms i think. Followed the instruction and somehow every water change sure have a few casualties.
I don't have troubles using AST with Panaque Plecos.

Main tank has 2 big (12") L27 Xingu and GL....
Small Tank has 2 small (7") L27 Xingu and Thunder.
Both tanks WC 80% 2x weekly with AST.
Been doing so more couple months with no problems.
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #13
Jianyuan
Arofanatic

I am helping out at an aquarium shop currently, using AST as the source of anti chlorine. Main display tank weekly water change at 50%, tankmates in the tank are 9 golden xback, 1 blue eye pleco, 2 L27C Goldline, 1 L27A and 1 Peru green pleco and there are other smaller tank mates in it too. Results so far so good, all the inhabitants are still very active, feeding well and growing.
The other tanks in shop are also using AST for all their water change @ 40-50% in the retail space and quarantine space. So far, have not seen any casualty till date due to the water changes that I did.
Jianyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 11:01 PM   #14
Tay
Dragon

Quote:
Hi Bro, when I started the thread on AST, u had many doubts on the product. However, u still go ahead to try the product and unfortunately, every wc sure hv few casualties (thats is really v bad ) Maybe I shld apologise for yr loses....... Anyway thk you for trying AST & since it is not wkg for u, I think best stay away fr it and stick to watever u are using now.

However, on the other hand, I had received many appreciation msgs fr pple that I had recommended to use AST, and now they r recommending more pple to use. All came back with excellent feedbacks. So i also scratch head wat when wrong on ur side???????? well I think u just don use so to prevent further loses ya.... ps ps
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:31 AM   #15
canopy
Dragon

No bro, is no one fault. Probably I under dose it with more than 100 plus Pleco in a 522. The search for good ac is always my priority. I even tried the powder version. Thanks
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:20 AM   #16
lukefang
Arofanatic

Safe to use AST together with PRIME? Best of both worlds or a complete disaster?
lukefang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:42 AM   #17
Tay
Dragon

Quote:
No bro, is no one fault. Probably I under dose it with more than 100 plus Pleco in a 522. The search for good ac is always my priority. I even tried the powder version. Thanks
Actually I wanted to start a thread regards to dosage of ac, but lazy la
For the past few months, I had received many msgs regards to fishes dying after water changes.

1st let us be alerted to the diff bet doing 20% wc and doing 50% to 80% wc, the diff is huge. If doing 20% wc, even if one use cheapo ac, the effect on the fishes will not be significant esp if one is running on sump filtration, cos the amt of wc is low.

Our tap water fr PUB is famous in the world being able to drink directly. Thus most will realised that the amt of chem added will be significant in order to protect human health. But can our fishes take these amt of chem added? obviously not.

Most of us here care abt wat is the dosage for most ac, as low as possible will be branded as gd ac as it help to cut cost, and not WHAT DOSAGE AC IS SUITABLE FOR OUR LOCAL TAP WATER.

However, recently due to the haze (more chem added in our tap water) & death of many fishes, I realised that the dosage provided by all ac producer are based only on certain statistics like how many ml treat how many mg/l of chlorine and chloramines. These ac producer do not kn how much chloramines are in our tap water. So by basing on recommeded dosage, I think is not appropriate. Now, I recommend hobbyist to dose 1.5x ( Based on AST AC) to be on the safe side and result r encouraging.

Well maybe when I free then start a thread to hv a full discussion on this.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #18
LauLanChu
Dragon

Quote:
Pleco very sensitive to chlorine poisoning. My experience is you have to double or triple dose the water change amount. Once you see the pleco darting around after water change, confirm gone. Beside this you also got to ensure those chemical you add during water change are okay, and also the pH. If you don't manage WC properly with pleco, it will be a nightmare as you will find dead body the next moment. Got nothing to do with brand of anti chlorine.
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #19
huashao
Arofanatic

Seachem safe.. economical for me.
full tap blast for 95% wc weekly

bioload : 8 discus, a dozen of tetras and 1 otos.
huashao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #20
Tay
Dragon

I kn pple that uses $1 a bottle ac & fishes r still doing well..... the ans is becos this guy do like less than 5% wc for its few tons pond, just add some cheapo ac to feel comfortable. Commended that $1 ac will do the job. Personally, i think dont add also nvrmind la, fishes wont die. Experienced fish keepers will kn y.

Based on my vase interaction with hobbyists, I realised 1 v impt issue, hobbyist will always blame on the pdts they used & not take time & effort to study & find out wat happen. Usually after interviewing them, its always the hobbyists doing funny things that causes problem rather then pdts issue or fishes issue. Moral of the story is,,, no matter wat, is nvr my fault. LOL

Last edited by Tay; 01-01-2016 at 04:27 PM.