Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 14-01-2014, 01:52 AM   #51
nel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiecheng View Post
You can try buying fries . 1" I spend quite abit on these fishes . Can try lfs but I suggest getting good quality discus from 88 and 3g or discus hobbyist.
how u define quality? to me as long it dont stunt, its considered as quality. LOL.... i always have the issue of stunt discus
Old 14-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #52
condor
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
u know any place where discus is selling very very very cheap. Like $5, $10 when other ppl is selling $15, $20 of the same type.
bcas i like to buy many pieces but budget constraint. CNY coming.
And when i see yr fish, i going crazy.....
If you go by whole batch the price should be cheaper
but are you able to take care of them
lots of ppl back off after some time due to unable to take good care of them

number of fish in the tank = more chance of water foul
one of the trick for good shape discus is that you able to provide them no chances of falling sick condition
in the early stage of growing, any chances of falling sick mean you will get not so good discus. Just see some of the sale thread, you might able to see some.

not to mention more fish mean more food
you might save a bit when you buy them
but you might spent more in the long run
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #53
tchew
Arofanatic

Very nice fishes. Thanks for sharing the view.
tchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #54
R&B
Arofanatic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiecheng View Post
bro the giant one i'm keeping seller only want to sell few to me so abit hard to get. i might release the smaller abd and also give free abd soon after i make sure they are stable to spread the hobby. The yellow albino batch is very nice and big.
Very poisoning, very nice yellow abino you've there. Hope to get my hand on a few if you plan to release some in the future.
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #55
eddiecheng
Dragon

Quote:
where is those place u mention?
i don't see any hobbyist selling baby discus recently in buy/sell.
It's not easy to keep fries though . Alot of work and need commitment. Discus forums normally have releases in awhile.
eddiecheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #56
today
Arofanatic

Quote:
how u define quality? to me as long it dont stunt, its considered as quality. LOL.... i always have the issue of stunt discus
Agree with Condor, big batch of small discus may not a good idea, consider the long run it maybe cost more than keep a small batch of quality fish.

Nel, the selling price maybe have their reason, $10 maybe in pattern, shape, genetic better than $5. Just be careful the seller is honest enough. I did saw a sale thread stated his batch of discus is 3 to 3.5" but infact you look at the picture and compare the bigger with the smaller, there are only 3 out of 8 is bigger than 3", the rest is 2.5" and inside of that 3pcs are only 2" slow grower.

Also did see some fish selling with a picture of sick look or not in good condition, so are you willing to purchase if the price is low enough? The best one is seller post a picture with beautiful look but when you look at the real fish! The picture maybe taken few month ago.

So go for a batch of size you able to take care, sure in the batch there will be a few slow grower, this is common.
today is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #57
Yoggy

Thumbs up

nice and fat fat discus u have....
Old 14-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #58
nel

Actually I hope can buy those small one, $2 each. Keep with my xb and black widow. Presently all the widows, my Aro don't touch them. Sadly no one selling. Sigh. Of course I won't buy sick discus. If sick and stunt, free also no use. What I dislike is smaller breed discus. I like those can grow very big.
Old 14-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #59
nitingdedao
Dragon

Quote:
Actually I hope can buy those small one, $2 each. Keep with my xb and black widow. Presently all the widows, my Aro don't touch them. Sadly no one selling. Sigh. Of course I won't buy sick discus. If sick and stunt, free also no use. What I dislike is smaller breed discus. I like those can grow very big.
Hmmm small ones to keep with XB? I do not think this will work out bro.
nitingdedao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #60
eddiecheng
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoggy View Post
nice and fat fat discus u have....
Thanks all for nice comments. Still abit skinny now. Trying to make them as fat as me . Many things to learn to beef them up and healthy.

Happy to know many people in discus keeping.start with healthy discus to begin with and honest seller.
eddiecheng is offline   Reply With Quote