Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 29-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
hiighpriestess

Navanod, I know! Amazing, isn't it!

Silane, thanks so much for dropping by my thread!

1. Is it fine if I keep them in pure freshwater? It would be quite inconvenient for me to have to maintain such water conditions, especially since I live pretty far from the sea.

2. Also, for just 6 shrimp, how often and how much should I feed them?

3. And just to clarify, an air driven filter will do, right? I don't need a separate air pump?

4. How often and how much of the water would I need to change? Would it be fine if I simply used the water in the bottle + the "nutrient water", and top the rest up with dechlorinated tap water?

5. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the shrimp are tiny.. How do I ensure they don't get sucked into the filter? And how do I get them into the new tank? Is there some sort of shrimp "catcher/sucker" device for transferring them?

6. Are shrimp climbers- will they try to escape the tank if it's not completely covered?

Thanks so much everyone, and sorry for all the questions!
Old 30-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #12
avex30

I guess u at least took the liberty to find out that it is cruelty to those poor shrimps. Welcome to the shrimp world I bet u pay quite abit thru their smooth tongue. Haha buying this and that. Good luck and sincerely hope you are able to prolong this poor creature life Span.
Old 30-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
kskhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiighpriestess View Post
Hi all,

I was in Orchard Central today when I saw a booth opened by CRS Haven. They were selling little containers/tiny "tanks" containing a few shrimp, some coral, algae and gravel.

The storekeeper boasted that the self-sustaining containers were extremely low-maintenance. There's no need to feed, clean or even change the water in the container- all it needs is indirect sunlight, which will grow the algae, which is in turn eaten by the shrimp. They would also live several months, even a few YEARS in that little container!

Me, being the easily-excited and impulsive girl that I am, jumped at the opportunity to buy one. No need to feed, clean or maintain?! Sounded too good to be true! I'd also seen some really expensive sealed spheres that worked the same way, and had always wanted to get one but was deterred by the price. I'd also seen a huge one in the Singapore Science Centre that had been there for almost 20 years, so I figured it must be safe!

I paid a hefty $120 for a container containing 6 shrimp, and also got a small packet of food. He directed me to put in one of the tiny pellets once every 2 weeks to give extra nutrients to the shrimp. He did indirectly state that it was unnecessary, and the pellets were like "vitamins" to keep the shrimp healthy and happy. I also bought a bottle of "nutrient water", which he said to use in topping up the water when the water level dropped.

I happily (and carefully) transported my little world home, and admired them swimming around energetically before googling "ecospheres". Oh god! I found out that it's torturous and cruel for the shrimp, and that they are very hardy, which is why they can live up to a few years in the container by STARVING themselves to death.. But they are actually are capable of living over TEN years in a good habitat

They container has a lid which can be opened, and I'm hoping to be able to save the poor shrimp and give them long, happy lives!

I used to keep 1 or 2 crayfish, but I'm absolutely clueless about shrimp, some kind souls please help me out!

I found out they're Volcanic Shrimp, also knows as Hawaii Red Shrimps. Is there any set up I can get on a relatively low-budget, and relatively low-maintenance?

Is it possible to keep them without a filter? What type of food, what's the smallest-sized tank I can get for them (not much room for like a footlong tank as I've moved to a smaller house..), what water conditions? Argh, so stressful.. I regret having made such an expensive AND cruel purchase!

Please help, bros!
you have picture of the ecosphere you bought?
Old 30-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
numbskull
Arofanatic

Quote:

1. Is it fine if I keep them in pure freshwater? It would be quite inconvenient for me to have to maintain such water conditions, especially since I live pretty far from the sea.

3. And just to clarify, an air driven filter will do, right? I don't need a separate air pump?

4. How often and how much of the water would I need to change? Would it be fine if I simply used the water in the bottle + the "nutrient water", and top the rest up with dechlorinated tap water?

5. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the shrimp are tiny.. How do I ensure they don't get sucked into the filter? And how do I get them into the new tank? Is there some sort of shrimp "catcher/sucker" device for transferring them?

6. Are shrimp climbers- will they try to escape the tank if it's not completely covered?

1 - They are fresh water. You would just need a few coral chips (since you mentioned they are hawaii red shrimp??) and a Overhead filter for tank. Thats it. Since using HOF, you dont need an air pump as water will flow into tank and oxygen is exhange.

2 - 6 shrimps. a small algae waffer?? Feed them 1 piece after 2-3 days of starvation and see how much they chew on it. After 2-3 hours, take out the remaining of the food and do your judgement from there.

3 - Refer to ques 1.

4 - Water change varies. Some change once a week, for me once every 2 weeks at 10% of the tank water. Change with dechlorinated water will do.

5 - Just make sure your filter is covered with nets/sponge big enough to NOT let the shrimps get suck in. Transferring of shrimps to one tank just search around this sub forum and you will be able to see how to do it. Just need to make sure acclimatization is done properly before transfer as both water conditions differs in both tanks.

6 - Shrimps do not climb unless you had a wood sticking out of the water surface which they could climb out. As long as the water level is not at the tip of the tank, its quite safe. Though they are posts that shrimps sometimes "jump" out of tank.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
cardinal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
1 - They are fresh water. You would just need a few coral chips (since you mentioned they are hawaii red shrimp??) and a Overhead filter for tank. Thats it. Since using HOF, you dont need an air pump as water will flow into tank and oxygen is exhange.
I think the shrimps are probably brackish water shrimps, rather than pure fresh water shrimps.

I believe you can try to slowly "convert" them to fresh water shrimps... but my guess is that chances of reproduction is likely to be affected.
cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
zenith82

Hi hiighpriestess, please becareful before you transfer them into another environment. As the volcanic shrimps live in a different condition unlike other shrimps. Make sure you acclimatize them properly and ensure the water PH and conditions are the same as your eco sphere, if not you might end up killing them instead of making them happy.

Best I suggest you to leave them inside at least you know they will survive.
rather than risk transferring them and end up killing them without knowing the living conditions of such shrimps.

Read up more and find out before you make any changes to them.
Happy Shrimping!
Old 31-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
eviltrain

just follow boss silane's way and you should be able to keep them alive ( and hopefully breeds for you )

make sure you aged your tap water before you add to your new tank.

good luck!
Old 31-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:

1. They require higher TDS and higher GH water, then what our aged tap water can offer, although they should be able to survive in aged tap water. Take a read of their natural enviroment, you should be able to get a grasp of what type of water they should be in.

2. Feed little once 3 days to 1 week, if you feed them and they dont eat, means they have enough algae food. If they eat, means they are hungry, use this as a guide to adjust the frequency of feeding. Feed with amount just less then enough.

3. Use sponge filter, which is driven by airpump

4. For me, I change water with the water mix I mentioned before, every 3 months, but I think change of every 2 weeks is better. If you do not want to use seawater mix, I think, decholorinated tap water with minerals added will do too.

5. Sponge filter wont catch any shrimp

6. No climb

This species is one of the most hardy around, it is not demanding but dont abuse them.

Last edited by silane; 31-01-2012 at 12:44 PM.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
globalcookie
Dragon

I believe they are making a decent living from selling eco-spheres. Too many pple, esp those working at desk bound jobs, would love a small little container w cute looking creatures, but ignorant of e cruelty...

Sadly, in business, what are lives.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
sp1der

my friend brought a set too. I wonder if i should break this kind of news to him