Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
highlander_den

Default Mexican drawf crayfish orange - Cambarellus patzcuarensis

Lately I went to CRSHaven and saw this tiny cute creature. It was amazing. Not growing more than 4cm, this fellow is a peaceful crayfish that doesn't do gardening for you if you place it in a planted tank.

And it can be housed with tiny fish, with 100% guaranty safety for your healthy fish. Below are some photos I found on the web to share.

Below statements are quoted from Petshrimp.com:

This beautiful and relatively peaceful 1.5 inch crayfish comes from Lago de Patzcuaro, a volcanic crater lake in Michoacán, Mexico, in the west-central mountain region. Wild Cambarellus patzcuarensis are mostly tan, brown, and rusty colored.. The bright orange mutation in the aquarium hobby rarely persist in nature due to predators, but is hardy in captivity. Some have a pair of longitudinal dark stripes and others are mottled, lacking stripes. They can be kept in soft to moderately hard water, pH 6.0 to 8.0, temperature 60 to 82 F. In soft water, keep aragonite gravel in the filter or on the bottom to provide calcium and pH buffering.

Unlike most crayfish, C. patzcuarensis doesn't destroy plants, and digs very little. They eat live or frozen worms, insects, brine shrimp, flakes, pellets, cooked shrimp, green peas – most any kind of fish food. They live peacefully with small fish and usually do not attack even newborn guppies, although they may eat fish eggs or non-swimming larvae, and will eat dead fish. They need hiding places when molting, as the new shell is soft and even small fish (or other crayfish) can kill them during this time. Volcanic rock with lots of small holes, or short segments of waterlogged bamboo are useful as molting refuges. Don’t keep crayfish with loaches or similar fish that probe nooks and crannies – the crayfish will be killed during their molt.

Adult males can be recognized by the first pair of pleopods, which are rigid with terminal hooks at the forward end (between the last pair of walking legs). In females the first pleopods are flexible and similar to the other four pairs of pleopods. They begin breeding at four months old. Crayfish mate belly-to-belly, after a claw-waving courtship ritual. Dark green eggs are laid in clutches of about 50, attached to the mother’s pleopods under the abdomen. They hatch in about 2 weeks, and the 3/16 inch baby crayfish drop off and scatter about a week later. The mother continues to eat while brooding, and won’t eat her kids as long as she has sufficient food. The babies eat newly hatched brine shrimp, flakes, pellets, etc. Soaked leaves from deciduous trees will provide hiding and climbing places, plus bugs, bacteria, and fungi that the babies can eat between feedings. If starved or overcrowded they will attack each other and tear off legs, but these will grow back as long as the crayfish can still get around and feed. The babies can grow up in the tank with the adults, or you can separate the mother before the eggs hatch and raise the babies in their own tank.

I am not too sure how correct the informations are.

Anyway, when I ask for the price from CRSHaven, the damage is very high for a pair (3 pcs of the blues). So need to gather every bros here to see if anyone sell this creature, or know of where we can buy? Any possible channel to import this creature?

Old 02-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
PrinceCharming

whahahahaha they are so cute !!!
but i still prefer those massive huge crayfish hehe...any idea where can i find cherax destructor?...i need a female for my male

Old 02-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

I actually bought 2 pairs from crshaven. Pretty nice creatures, actively looking for food. Hoping it will start to breed soon.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
HeiBee

Wah!! Three blue paper!!0.O
this is madness!

Old 02-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Leong68
Endangered Dragon

very nice and cute.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Kohaku
Dragon

You can try Tropical Fish International at Pasir Ris farmway. I was told on Sunday they might order to test market and is definately cheaper than CRS Haven. Go there and ask the 2 pretty ladies there.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
laken
User Under Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
You can try Tropical Fish International at Pasir Ris farmway. I was told on Sunday they might order to test market and is definately cheaper than CRS Haven. Go there and ask the 2 pretty ladies there.
Hi bro, Care to share the exact location?

Regards
Old 02-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
drakeho
Dragon

Angleo was selling it the in buy/sell last month . dont know still got or not . you may wanna check with him .
Old 02-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
Eric_kwa

Yes, they are pretty but take note they dont survive long in water that more than 28C temp.

i live & show better colour in cooler water temp.

Im keeping them at 24C to 20C with chiller.

they have an life cycle of 24 month.

So those Bro who got them please take care of them.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
silane
Senior Dragon

Agree with you, temperature is critical for them. Seems that their lifespan can be affected at higher temperature for anything close to 28C. Anything about 28C is bad.

I am keeping mine at 25C.
Closed Thread