Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermarko View Post
Never bought altums before and just to know, are they always being pre-packed in bags(in 5pcs or 10pcs?) or just like normal in a tank and you choose the ones you want?

Most sell their altums in pre packed bags of 5 or 10 pieces to avoid people from choosing the fish, and stressing the rest of the fish. There are some shops that pour the altums in tank but you have to pay for higher price to choose.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #12
armageddon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Yes, you may add new fish as long as you quarantine the new fishes well.
itchy, regarding this point, i would like to add a side note.

if space and time allow, do not add them immediately and not even straight after quarantine. 1 factor to note, there is this altums disease that is commonly known as collumboris (cant get the real name) whereby the mouth and fins will all rot, i term them as altum's chicken pokes. hahaha.... and survival rate is low. this occurs usually in the first year of keeping. but will still occur after that. my personal recommendation is, if tank space allow, keep both batch seperated for at least 6 months. once u see them deem fit to join the main batch than add in. else do not do that. because usually altums that survive pass this phase of "altum chicken pokes" they will practically be at commando level angels already. that is the time when its safe to introduce 2 batch together.
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #13
armageddon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy View Post
What kind of enviroment do altums prefer?
1. Ph range?
2. Black/white/blue tank?
3. Plants & DW?
4. Suitable tankmates?
5. Best food?

Hope seasoned AA keepers can enlighten newbies like me.
pH

this point defer from keepers to keepers. but according to best recommendation, 5.5. still to local context and various overseas context, they manage to keep it well in pH of 6.5 - 7.2

tank colouration

unlike aros, altums do not really have specific. lighting affect its viewing and photographic colouration more. warm / cold light. last time my was in black background.

plants and DW

my preference is to have a balance of both. but compared to standard planted scaping, i will choose a more branchy setup if possible. there are 2 very beautiful setups by bros here.

ROOT's DW only setup is awesome.
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=424960

TKS1970's tank is breathtaking as well.
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=405182

tankmates

rule of thumb like any fish u keep.
anything that fits its mouth, OUT
anymouth that IT can be fited into, OUT
anything that is super aggresive in nature, OUT

so few gentle tank mates that can consider, cories, swordtails, tetras (depending on size of altum and period it is kept with and size and type of tetras as well), try to have altum as the biggest fish and you shouldn't be having any issues, if tank is small, try preventing plecos but if tank is big enough, than those small sized plecos can consider.

best food

i've given my altums in the pas staple of frozen blood worm. but i've tried BH as well. they take. as bro itchy and other bros have mentioned in another thread, pellets will do fine as well. i've tried feeding my adult LARGE angel (ard 3 inch + in body) baby catfish and they can eat 4 in a meal. many options, its up to u. basically, u can ask any discus keepers what they feed to their discus, u can do the same for altums FBW, BH, Pellets, MP even, etc.

good luck and i look forward to everyone's posting this year :P

Last edited by armageddon; 12-07-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:31 AM   #14
armageddon
Senior Dragon

[QUOTE=Navy;7857991]
Quote:

How abt if I add in other species of tankmates like discus?
so far IMO, i've yet to see an extremely well blend of discus with altums.

u need to work alot on the scaping to bring out a harmonious blend between the 2. and basic point to note, A LARGE TANK
Old 12-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #15
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by armageddon View Post
itchy, regarding this point, i would like to add a side note.

if space and time allow, do not add them immediately and not even straight after quarantine. 1 factor to note, there is this altums disease that is commonly known as collumboris (cant get the real name) whereby the mouth and fins will all rot, i term them as altum's chicken pokes. hahaha.... and survival rate is low. this occurs usually in the first year of keeping. but will still occur after that. my personal recommendation is, if tank space allow, keep both batch seperated for at least 6 months. once u see them deem fit to join the main batch than add in. else do not do that. because usually altums that survive pass this phase of "altum chicken pokes" they will practically be at commando level angels already. that is the time when its safe to introduce 2 batch together.

Thanks for sharing
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #16
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
pH

this point defer from keepers to keepers. but according to best recommendation, 5.5. still to local context and various overseas context, they manage to keep it well in pH of 6.5 - 7.2

tank colouration

unlike aros, altums do not really have specific. lighting affect its viewing and photographic colouration more. warm / cold light. last time my was in black background.

plants and DW

my preference is to have a balance of both. but compared to standard planted scaping, i will choose a more branchy setup if possible. there are 2 very beautiful setups by bros here.

ROOT's DW only setup is awesome.
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=424960

TKS1970's tank is breathtaking as well.
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=405182

tankmates

rule of thumb like any fish u keep.
anything that fits its mouth, OUT
anymouth that IT can be fited into, OUT
anything that is super aggresive in nature, OUT

so few gentle tank mates that can consider, cories, swordtails, tetras (depending on size of altum and period it is kept with and size and type of tetras as well), try to have altum as the biggest fish and you shouldn't be having any issues, if tank is small, try preventing plecos but if tank is big enough, than those small sized plecos can consider.

best food

i've given my altums in the pas staple of frozen blood worm. but i've tried BH as well. they take. as bro itchy and other bros have mentioned in another thread, pellets will do fine as well. i've tried feeding my adult LARGE angel (ard 3 inch + in body) baby catfish and they can eat 4 in a meal. many options, its up to u. basically, u can ask any discus keepers what they feed to their discus, u can do the same for altums FBW, BH, Pellets, MP even, etc.

good luck and i look forward to everyone's posting this year :P
good info and advice (:
how about water currect?do they like still water or with a current?
filtration?
things to note when 1st time trying out other then the "chicken pox" you mentioned?
min tank size?a 3feet will do?
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #17
armageddon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
good info and advice (:
how about water currect?do they like still water or with a current?
filtration?
things to note when 1st time trying out other then the "chicken pox" you mentioned?
min tank size?a 3feet will do?
i believe in life, everything is about NATURE and BALANCE.

current do not need too high as it may stress them out. indirect current i would say. cause looking at the amazon system, current is never still and yet the areas most fishes are in, current is not as high and direct.

other than the "chicken pox" i think the rest are the same as normal fish keeping. do not have to specially and extremely go do thing. but take things in moderate should be fine.

tank size, there are bros whom keep it nicely in a 2 feet tank for the initial period. but for adulthood, my recommendation will be 422 minimum. height and length plays the main factor as altums' spread is TALL.

if my place allow and $$, my small dream is to have a 10 X 3 X 2.5 tank to try to mimick a small portion like the river ecosystem
Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #18
oliver
Dragon

Hi bros, any major differences btw a Altum and a common Angelfish? Am just curious cos find tat Altums are more slender and fins are much longer tat's abt all! Thks...
oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #19
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
i believe in life, everything is about NATURE and BALANCE.

current do not need too high as it may stress them out. indirect current i would say. cause looking at the amazon system, current is never still and yet the areas most fishes are in, current is not as high and direct.

other than the "chicken pox" i think the rest are the same as normal fish keeping. do not have to specially and extremely go do thing. but take things in moderate should be fine.

tank size, there are bros whom keep it nicely in a 2 feet tank for the initial period. but for adulthood, my recommendation will be 422 minimum. height and length plays the main factor as altums' spread is TALL.

if my place allow and $$, my small dream is to have a 10 X 3 X 2.5 tank to try to mimick a small portion like the river ecosystem
icic very true and very well said.one more question,heaters?
yes im sure that is many bro's dream.mine too!haha to create a part of amazon or freshwater lake right smack in my home (:
all the best to your altums!hope they breed soon!
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #20
armageddon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver View Post
Hi bros, any major differences btw a Altum and a common Angelfish? Am just curious cos find tat Altums are more slender and fins are much longer tat's abt all! Thks...
OHOHOHOHOH!!!!!!!!!

bro. frankly the moment u say this, i felt a little offended.... hahahaha

but its ok. everyone is here to lean. no harm asking

ok. below are some points about altums

altums are used as the main symbol when it comes to an aquarium. although mostly say its angelfish, which is true, but look at the stripes. if someone every asked u to draw an angel fish, the 3 bars stripes of an altum will surface in one's mind. especially so in the western countries.

altums have the highest spread and LARGEST species of angels. their bodies are known to reach 6 inch in size and spread of 18 inch thats ever withnessed. they are classified as the KING of aquarium. but however this point there are disputes and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

not only, altum is one of the hardest fish to breed in captivity by far. and lastly, compare an full grown adult altum with ANY angel, u will see the beauty of it and its "king" title. its size is simply awesome. its majestic hovering in the water, its brilliance in colour when they turn terrirorial, etc etc.... u have to try keeping, and look more to really understand. the more u look into it the more you may get enticed by it. altum keeping i will refer to as an artistic science