Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 05-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #21
marshy

Senior Moderator

I'm using a 80m coil before input to the denitrator. Idea is for DO depletion through the coil. Hence, water going into the denitrator is already O2 depleted and anaeboric bac is only needed for more efficient denitrification process. I can afford higher drip rate this manner.

Anything else I'm missing here?
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #22
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
I'm using a 80m coil before input to the denitrator. Idea is for DO depletion through the coil. Hence, water going into the denitrator is already O2 depleted and anaeboric bac is only needed for more efficient denitrification process. I can afford higher drip rate this manner.

Anything else I'm missing here?
You already doing very well.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #23
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
You already doing very well.
I do not seem to encounter the gooey slime in the denitrator.
Also no rotten egg smell from the output.
Currently output is about 5 drops per sec and nitrate is zero. Trying to push my luck at higher drip count
I've got about 30 deniballs in the denitrator. Seems too much deniballs is not good? I thought its required if the water input is higher nitrate levels and faster drip rate.
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #24
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
I do not seem to encounter the gooey slime in the denitrator.
Also no rotten egg smell from the output.
Currently output is about 5 drops per sec and nitrate is zero. Trying to push my luck at higher drip count
I've got about 30 deniballs in the denitrator. Seems too much deniballs is not good? I thought its required if the water input is higher nitrate levels and faster drip rate.
The gooey slime will appear. Just a matter of time only. As for rotten egg smell, it is also a sign that the denitrator is choking up.

30 deniballs for NR1000 is ok. If too many, you will risk anaerobe blooming leading to choking, rotten egg smell and less nitrate being removed. There is a limit with regards to flowrate n size of the denitrator.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:33 AM   #25
atom

Quote:
There are mainly 3 types of denitrator used by hobbyist.

1. Coil denitrator
2. Carbon based denitrator
3. Sulphur based denitrator
What is a coil denitrator?

Here is a simple coil denitrator.

How does it work?

The coil denitrator is feed oxygen rich water via a pump or gravity siphoning. This O2 rich water enters the 50' coiled tubing until exiting within the bottom center of the chamber. Aerobic bbs will populate the tubing wall and the oxygen will be strip via nitrification process, same as the bio-filtration system.

Inside the UPVC piping, an low oxygen or anoxic environment will be created and permits anaerobe to populate and the bio-balls soon become host to millions of colonies of bacteria that proceed to multiply. As the water reaches the top of the chamber, it exits through the output fitting.

Problems?

The anaerobe depends on the DOC in the water column for feeding. Since the amount DOC differs from tank to tank, the denitrification level is never stable. The anaerobe population will increases and decreases accordingly. Secondly, the tubing tends to plug and thus clog.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:15 AM   #26
Lonerboi

can it be solved by deni balls?

2ndly... i got some trapped nitrogen(i guess) in my denitrator most of the times, need to shake shake abit to release it, any solutions?
Old 06-10-2007, 03:52 AM   #27
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerboi View Post
can it be solved by deni balls?

2ndly... i got some trapped nitrogen(i guess) in my denitrator most of the times, need to shake shake abit to release it, any solutions?
Nice to see you posting again.

Yes and no. Using deniball will provide a more consistance supply of carbon source but due to poor circulation within the reactor, it might not be reach to every corners of it.

Common problem with coil denitrator. Install a internal circulating will help.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:56 AM   #28
Lonerboi

Quote:
Nice to see you posting again.

Yes and no. Using deniball will provide a more consistance supply of carbon source but due to poor circulation within the reactor, it might not be reach to every corners of it.

Common problem with coil denitrator. Install a internal circulating will help.
hmm... liddat internal circulation would solve both problems... how to set 1 in my denitrator =.= the azoo one =x
Old 07-10-2007, 01:14 AM   #29
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
There has been quite an interest on denitrator recently and by starting this thread, it will provide more info for those who are interested in it.
Hi atom,

Great thread, you have there.

3 questions for you:
- what is the flowrate recommended?
- what is the high nitrate removal rate you have achieved and what is the typical nitrate removal rate for a setup?
- is deniball a must? or just good to have? Does it help to performance better?

Thank.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:56 AM   #30
chamikara

Bro atom/tagore:
If one cant find deni balls, is there another alternative?