Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 13-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
oochi_betta

It has reduced since I changed my lighting to T5 instead of the LED ones.
Old 14-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
FanAromatic
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oochi_betta View Post
It has reduced since I changed my lighting to T5 instead of the LED ones.
Bro, for your case, your lighting is too much in my opinion, you also need to change water if possible every other day for a short period, and also add more plants.

Here are my reasons;
1. Long hours lighting not suitable at this point of time as the brown algae still not resolved, instead helping it to increase, suggest 4-5 hours till problem resolved.
2. High nitrate due to decaying plant material, dirty filters, over-feeding, and over-stocking, etc.. so water change to get rid of or reduce these nitrate in the water.
3. Adding more plants to ensure plant taking over brown algae to take in nitrate. Oh.. you might want to add excel flourish as it is good for plant growth, eventually take over brown algae.

I faced such brown algae in the past, and solving it by using these method, thus, just want to share my experience. Hope this help you.

Last edited by FanAromatic; 14-05-2013 at 11:07 PM.
FanAromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
oochi_betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanAromatic View Post
Bro, for your case, your lighting is too much in my opinion, you also need to change water if possible every other day for a short period, and also add more plants.

Here are my reasons;
1. Long hours lighting not suitable at this point of time as the brown algae still not resolved, instead helping it to increase, suggest 4-5 hours till problem resolved.
2. High nitrate due to decaying plant material, dirty filters, over-feeding, and over-stocking, etc.. so water change to get rid of or reduce these nitrate in the water.
3. Adding more plants to ensure plant taking over brown algae to take in nitrate. Oh.. you might want to add excel flourish as it is good for plant growth, eventually take over brown algae.

I faced such brown algae in the past, and solving it by using these method, thus, just want to share my experience. Hope this help you.
Thanks bro for your helpful tips.
I have since changed my lighting to T5 tube, and only turn on lights for about 4 hours per day. The brown algae is diminishing. i change water twice a week, so it is also helping. I think maybe the plants I use are not meant for 8-10 light per day.

Letting go my 4ft led. Any one want?
Old 16-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
FanAromatic
Dragon

Quote:
Thanks bro for your helpful tips.
I have since changed my lighting to T5 tube, and only turn on lights for about 4 hours per day. The brown algae is diminishing. i change water twice a week, so it is also helping. I think maybe the plants I use are not meant for 8-10 light per day.

Letting go my 4ft led. Any one want?
I'm glad I can help, I don't mind keep your 4ft led.

What do you mean by the plants are not meant for 8-10 light per day ?
Usually, plants need more light, except that you don't have enough plants and too much waste, the excess food will go to algae, and eventually produce algae faster then your plant grow. There must be a balance, then your plants will grow beautifully.

Last edited by FanAromatic; 16-05-2013 at 10:01 PM.
FanAromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
oochi_betta

Aparently nana plant is low light, too much light on it or rather too strong will promote growth on the leaves. That's what I read—SOMEWHERE. zzzzz
Old 17-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
Cabgirl
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanAromatic View Post

Here are my reasons;

After reading this, I realised that my brown algae in my pond must be caused by my dirty filter. It is also leaking. Guess time to get a new one. Thanks.
Cabgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #17
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Aparently nana plant is low light, too much light on it or rather too strong will promote growth on the leaves. That's what I read—SOMEWHERE. zzzzz
Nanas are slow growing plants. Which is why most recommendations for keeping Nanas either include low-light conditions or under shaded regions of the tank, away from direct light. Since they are slow growing, algae find it easier to grow and "propagate" on them. I had them on some 40 stalks of Nanas Petite some time ago, when I bought them over cheaply from another hobbyist. Took me painstaking 2 months of work to finally rid all of the plants of the algae, under moderate lighting conditions. My way was to remove all affectEd leaves and stems while leaving a bare minimum number of leaves for the Nana to still carry out photosynthesis. Over the 2 months, I keep trimming and removing the infected leaves until eventually, all that was left was the healthy and green Nana.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote