Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 03-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Cabgirl
Arofanatic

Default How to tame flighty kois?

I have eight 6-inch kois bought from Sea View for a month already. They are kept in a 1000-litre pond. My issue is that they hide behind and don't come up to the surface to eat when I am standing beside the pond. They are very fast and darty and I don't get to see and enjoy them at all. My previous kois and goldfish weren't like this at all. They would come to the surface when I fed them and they would even nibble my fingers.
Cabgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
wei
Dragon

R these 6 koi the only occupants in your pond?
wei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
bingkla

You might condider 1 or 2 bigger kois like Chagoi etc
Old 05-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Wilgan
Dragon

Small and male kois are normally more "kan cheong". It may take a longer time for them to get use to the place. Getting a bigger friendly leader koi like chagoi/ochiba may help. Sinking food may be more suitable for them too at this stage.
Wilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
beanysoh

Up your thread. I have 6 kois for about a year and they are doing the same thing. Always hiding behind a pot of plant i have inside the pond. They only come out at night when no one is around or after feeding. Is it common for small kois? I notice bigger kois tend to swim slower and more graceful.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Wilgan
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanysoh View Post
Up your thread. I have 6 kois for about a year and they are doing the same thing. Always hiding behind a pot of plant i have inside the pond. They only come out at night when no one is around or after feeding. Is it common for small kois? I notice bigger kois tend to swim slower and more graceful.
Females are normally more tame. You can try starving them for a few days to try to get them out.
Wilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Cabgirl
Arofanatic

Thank you for your kind advice. They are the only occupants. I had kept smaller kois previously (3 inches) in the same pond but they were more tame, ie they would swim up to the surface to eat and even nibbled at my fingers.

I have thought of introducing some other fishes, maybe small oscars?
Cabgirl is offline   Reply With Quote