Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 02-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
xirus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Looks quite lightly planted. Whether to top-up with soil or not, I can't really advise you, since I've never tried growing HG in lapis sand. Only tried in black quartz and soil. What sort of algae do you have on your HG? BBA? If it's just BBA and no other fishes around, you can attempt to Excel bomb the affected areas. Only thing is may kill off some of the HG in the process.
it looks like bba...brown short hair like type...wat is excel bomb?
xirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
xirus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0w View Post
you should not top up soil on top of the sand because the sand become compressed, anaerobic bacteria start to grow, bad smell and everything start to die. If you want to use soil, you better restart the whole thing.

First identify what algae in your tank, then find out what is wrong with your setup.

You have 522 tank with only 3-4 bps. How many watt is your light?
the watt i have forgotten...but the lighting i have is the 2 tubes aquazonic silver casing...using i on only 1 tube...tried b4 on 2 tubes algae go very fast
Old 02-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
xirus
Arofanatic

ok so now i already had the ans tat i cant top up soil...so wat should i do then?
buy more hg to plant? add more other plants?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
Shad0w

BBA should be black in color. You can google and compare. If it is BBA then it is more likely CO2 stability problem.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
xirus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0w View Post
BBA should be black in color. You can google and compare. If it is BBA then it is more likely CO2 stability problem.
yup..i tried finding on web n feel like fuzz algae...but alot
Old 08-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
Jon409
Arofanatic

Quote:
For Hairgrass to grow fast, need a combination of CO2, good lighting as well as regular ferts regime. Also, you might want to consider planting more heavily, coz hairgrass does take awhile to take off on the propagation part. If too lightly planted, algae will start forming and leech the nutrients away.
2 thumbs up...i agreed with you...starting try plant heavily..when the hairgrass take off.. then start to cut back on other plants...if not mr. algae with come knocking on ur door
Jon409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
xirus
Arofanatic

i change to glosso...

btw how to trim...?
Old 20-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Ermmm. Is your lighting enough? Seems like your glosso, although growing well, but seems to be growing "UP" rather than creeping along. On the whole, looks quite nice still... Very green. I would consider adding some C. Wendtii "Brown"/"Bronze" for some colour variations. As for trimming, I do believe you might need a curved scissors, although, with your glosso growing upwards, not sure if the trimming method is the same.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
Chlorophyllism

Lol , its cute to see the glosso growing upwards and with a 2 feet deep tank, it does not look odd. Dont give up on the HG. Try it again someday..
HG needs lots of light for rapid growth. I think the HG will benefit with two tubes running. Checking your nitrates and phosphates to help you dose the right amounts.
good CO2 circulation works wonders for BBA. I used a wavemaker in my 422 planted to combat BBA.
Lastly some yamatos to keep the grass clean.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
xirus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Ermmm. Is your lighting enough? Seems like your glosso, although growing well, but seems to be growing "UP" rather than creeping along. On the whole, looks quite nice still... Very green. I would consider adding some C. Wendtii "Brown"/"Bronze" for some colour variations. As for trimming, I do believe you might need a curved scissors, although, with your glosso growing upwards, not sure if the trimming method is the same.
yup my lighting is enough...they tend to go upwards cos i see there isnt any place for them to go side ways go go higher...still googling searching for some red plants...was thinking of placing at the area of the current japonica ...