Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > AquaMedics Board & Pet Loss > Pet Loss

Old 28-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #41
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociedad View Post
Bro, I'm using a hiblow, mind sharing what's a apc/ups and where to get these ?
APC is a brand of UPS.

UPS stands for Uninterruptible Power Supply.

These are usually used for IT systems so data isn't corrupted on servers when the power goes out. I'm a datacenter and network systems engineer, and work quite closely with these devices.

For aquarium systems, the UPS should produce sine wave output due to the types of motor in water and air pumps.

For the APC line, you'd be looking at a Smart UPS, which generates pure sine wave output, not the Back UPS (Pro), which generates modified square wave output (some say this isn't a problem with modern pumps, but I prefer to be safe than sorry for a life support system).

Smart UPS are expensive brand new, but can be found cheaper used, with 3rd party batteries installed.

How big you need it to be depends on your electrical load. A 1000VA Smart UPS would probably service a 100W aquarium load for 2 hrs, or 4+ hours if supporting only a 40W air pump. (Hiblow 40).
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #42
Sociedad
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
APC is a brand of UPS.

UPS stands for Uninterruptible Power Supply.

These are usually used for IT systems so data isn't corrupted on servers when the power goes out. I'm a datacenter and network systems engineer, and work quite closely with these devices.

For aquarium systems, the UPS should produce sine wave output due to the types of motor in water and air pumps.

For the APC line, you'd be looking at a Smart UPS, which generates pure sine wave output, not the Back UPS (Pro), which generates modified square wave output (some say this isn't a problem with modern pumps, but I prefer to be safe than sorry for a life support system).

Smart UPS are expensive brand new, but can be found cheaper used, with 3rd party batteries installed.

How big you need it to be depends on your electrical load. A 1000VA Smart UPS would probably service a 100W aquarium load for 2 hrs, or 4+ hours if supporting only a 40W air pump. (Hiblow 40).
Thanks for sharing these valuable info, last but not least can you tell me where can I purchase this APC ? I trust that there are many brands of UPS that caters to different individuals with different requirements and budget am I right ?
Sociedad is offline   Reply With Quote