Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 21-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
radiolite22

Default Sutchi fillet fats

Hi guys,

Recently I have changed my feeding to my fishes to fully sutchi fillet diet. Upon preparing the fillet, realized the fish having a lot of thick white fats (like lard). Trimmed away some of them and cut to size to feed my fishes.

However, realized the water in the tank will form a layer of oil on the surface. My 6ft tank has overflow and under flow system so still not so bad, managed to capture the oil in my sump which they formed to a whitish sludge like substances on my wool.

Question is I have another 4ft tank with OHF. The layer of oil on the surface can't be removed by my submerged pump. Any idea how to remove the oil?

Is sutchi fillet healthy for the fishes in the long run since they are so fattening?

Also saw from a thread somewhere that sutchi fillet are all from Vietnam, which many were rear from not so clean waters... So still safe for us and our fishes to eat?

Advises appreciated.

Cheers
Old 21-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Eeeee.....

Viet fish......

U wouldnt wanna feed ur fish that.... When u see the River n fish caught out....
shiokmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
sALmoN@home
Arofanatic

I had the same problem as you so I stopped feeding sutchi. Im now using other fish meats like kunning and tamban.
sALmoN@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
leoshawn83
Arofanatic

Hi Bro,

You might want to try to add an surface skimmer with a cannister and output that to your OHF.
Else external pump with Skimmer and output to ohf will work as well. dymax quite cheap.
leoshawn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
Hershley
Endangered Dragon

i also have changed back to MP and feed shark meat instead of sutchi fillet.
Hershley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Censis
Dragon

I feed sutchi for the past one month.. Agree with you that it's oily, when you touch the fish you can feel already. But did not observe any oil as maybe I feed small amount..

My fish seems to like it, but maybe nothing eles to eat so that's why? Haha..

On the healthy a not part, I cannot help you much as I only fed for one month, and now I sold off my whole monsterfish comm..

Hope this helps..
Censis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
O_jigger
Arofanatic

Try kunning. You can see the differences. I see my fishes prefer kunning meat also.
O_jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Good read .....bedtime story

http://www.safecatfish.com/wp-conten...sk-_Report.pdf
See pg12 of report (17/51)
Old 22-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #9
radiolite22

Thanks for the input bros...

So far my fishes grows very fat and fast with the sutchi diet. I find it Especially good to pump up the sizes of ITs and build the thickness of the Arowanas...I used to feed MP but really very taxing on my wallet considering the number of fishes I have... One feeding can easily be more than 1.2kg of MP!!

Read the report on the catfish... Seems like to those from US are healthier but so far in local supermarkets can only find the Vietnam imported ones... I'm also concern on the safety for human consumption though... I'm sure AVA does conduct lab test to ensure these fishes are safe to eat, in order to allow sales in the market right?

I do have a spare protein skimmer stored around somewhere but have no idea how to fix it up to my 4ft running on OHF... Any suggestions?

I've had seen many bros in the forum stating sutchi diet on their fishes... How do they counter this issue of oily water surface?
Old 22-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

consider mixing pork [lean meat] w Mp.... thats what i do...

i understand the Pain on wallet for mp...especially year end & CNY

i juz hate taking risks w sutchiii