Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 09-07-2014, 12:40 AM   #21
ydolphin
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
I do not know they get there, but if they are houseflies maggots, chances are what u feeding your fishes are rotting in ur wool and the rotting smell attracts the houseflies to lay eggs there. Then they hatched to eat up the rotting food.

Fastest way to get rid is throw away all the wool and do a complete wash to the filter system. After which, try to feed lesser and do frequent rinsing of the filter material.

Hopes this helps and it's my first time I see maggots triving in filter material. I wonder if other ppl has such problem.
Don't think these are maggots ... I do notice some small insects flying around my ohf and thereafter these pupae will appear ..
ydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #22
aakash
Arofanatic

Kohaku is right these are maggots,
These are very notoriuos, you have to completely remove the filter wool and coarse sponge too. And wash up your tank and media.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
aakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #23
ted_keong
Arofanatic

does salt kill them?
ted_keong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #24
TuNA
Dragon

I have encounteted similar case. It will develop into fruit flies. Increase your WC and wool change frequency to reduce them.
TuNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #25
Censis
Dragon

Opened my cabinet during wc today and found many of these flies in my sump and some flying around.. Why are they here?

Censis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 11:41 PM   #26
Censis
Dragon

Guys I cleaned them away this afternoon and now they are back again.. Any advise?
Old 15-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #27
Kohaku
Dragon

This is very common. Forget what it is called, but bedok reservoir see them every year.

If u look closer at the shit accumilated in the sump, u will find live bloodworms in tubelike dirt. These are the adults u see. They look like mosquitoes, but on closer look, u see 2 fan like feelers in the front. Nothing to be alarm about, throw a few small fishes in the sump and they help to reduce it, but frequent rinsing of the sump will reduce it. Those adults can kill using insect spray.

Looks like you dun clear/ clean your sump on a reqular basis.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #28
ydolphin
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
This is very common. Forget what it is called, but bedok reservoir see them every year.

If u look closer at the shit accumilated in the sump, u will find live bloodworms in tubelike dirt. These are the adults u see. They look like mosquitoes, but on closer look, u see 2 fan like feelers in the front. Nothing to be alarm about, throw a few small fishes in the sump and they help to reduce it, but frequent rinsing of the sump will reduce it. Those adults can kill using insect spray.

Think they are call midges ...

What I did back then, a bit of a drastic action out of pure frustration, as they were flying in a swarm over my ohf was to spray baygon at them ... and problem solved lol
ydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #29
Censis
Dragon

Quote:

I don't clean my media one leh only change my filter wool cuz I don't wanna disturb the media.. Fine all along until recently the flies came! Will add in a small fish. What are they attracted to anw, the smell? Or the dark, hot, damp environment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydolphin View Post
Think they are call midges ...

What I did back then, a bit of a drastic action out of pure frustration, as they were flying in a swarm over my ohf was to spray baygon at them ... and problem solved lol
But I can't spray bygon if not the bygon will go into my water.. Have been cleaning them away with a cloth but they keep coming back how?
Old 17-07-2014, 02:51 AM   #30
Kohaku
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Censis View Post
I don't clean my media one leh only change my filter wool cuz I don't wanna disturb the media.. Fine all along until recently the flies came! Will add in a small fish. What are they attracted to anw, the smell? Or the dark, hot, damp environment?
Brother, this I also dunno, but I encountered before. Was like u before just change the wool every week. I dun even know they had laid eggs in my sump tank till I experienced them hovering my sump tank. You kill this batch, the next batch will come the next day. I managed to eradicate them with insect spray and reducing the shit that traps in between the media.

Now I dun have such problem as I flush out the dirty in the sump every time I change water. Hope this helps u and those who read this.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote