Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 22-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
zonkkie
Dragon

i read somewhere that for Freshwater fish - better don't feed freshwater fish in case parasites transfer. Does it makes sense?
zonkkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
ydolphin
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkkie View Post
i read somewhere that for Freshwater fish - better don't feed freshwater fish in case parasites transfer. Does it makes sense?
True to a certain extent, esp. for live feeders or freshly slaughtered fish. H/r, I will say that the problem is largely, if not totally eliminated when the food is deep frozen. Don't think the parasites can survive that.
ydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
radiolite22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiokmc View Post
consider mixing pork [lean meat] w Mp.... thats what i do...

i understand the Pain on wallet for mp...especially year end & CNY

i juz hate taking risks w sutchiii
I dun really like the idea of feeding poultry to fishes eg: beef heart, chicken or pork... Doesn't seems natural as dun think Arowana or smaller specimens fishes feeds on them in the wild...

To me fish eats fish seems better and I believe their digestive system is designed to absorb omega fats better than animal fats...

SW and insects and frogs seems ok too as they feed on these (or at least relatives species) in the wild.

It's just my way of thinking though... Do correct me if I'm wrong here
Old 22-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
radiolite22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkkie View Post
So far any casualty reports of death due to feeding of sutchi fillet? Not considering death due to poorer water condition resulted from the oil residues in the water.
Old 22-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolite22 View Post
I dun really like the idea of feeding poultry to fishes eg: beef heart, chicken or pork... Doesn't seems natural as dun think Arowana or smaller specimens fishes feeds on them in the wild...

To me fish eats fish seems better and I believe their digestive system is designed to absorb omega fats better than animal fats...

SW and insects and frogs seems ok too as they feed on these (or at least relatives species) in the wild.

It's just my way of thinking though... Do correct me if I'm wrong here
I dunno.... In the wild... They do leap out n grab lil birdies off trees.... Some feed mice/rats.....
So.....

Poultry...or fowl.... Well..im sure they can digest... no wrong no right..

Im still learning....
shiokmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
sALmoN@home
Arofanatic

Quote:
So far any casualty reports of death due to feeding of sutchi fillet? Not considering death due to poorer water condition resulted from the oil residues in the water.
I used to feed sutchi. One of my IT up lorry for nothing. Sudden death syndrome. I cut it open and found the liver looking fatty and unhealthy.
sALmoN@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
radiolite22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sALmoN@home View Post
I used to feed sutchi. One of my IT up lorry for nothing. Sudden death syndrome. I cut it open and found the liver looking fatty and unhealthy.
How long have you been feeding the IT on sutchi fillet? How big was ur IT? I had a tank of about 9 ITs last time... All kena sudden death syndrome one after another... In the end only one survivor
Old 22-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #18
radiolite22

I do notice the sutchi fats content bought from Shop N Save seems much more than those I bought from NTUC... Anyone can concur to my findings?
Old 22-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #19
sALmoN@home
Arofanatic

Quote:
How long have you been feeding the IT on sutchi fillet? How big was ur IT? I had a tank of about 9 ITs last time... All kena sudden death syndrome one after another... In the end only one survivor
Kept from 6' until it was 13' when it died. There were a few other SDS tigers too but this was the most sayang piece cuz kept from young. I been feeding sutchi for a long time to pump my ITs.

Quote:
I do notice the sutchi fats content bought from Shop N Save seems much more than those I bought from NTUC... Anyone can concur to my findings?
Very true. Especially the house brand NO FRILLS if you haven't noticed it's damn oily. And the sutchi will actually float unless you trim off the fatty layer.
sALmoN@home is offline   Reply With Quote