Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 08-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
atan
Dragon

Default NP bio pellets

Dear all,

Had been reading about the above recently but mainly found for marine users.

Any bros here is using the above for fresh water? (i.e. arowana or even planted tanks)

Need some feedbacks as its said to control NO3. And is a skimmer a must?

Thank a million in advance!
atan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Yixian2328

Hi, i started with NP bio pellets with reactor (1 week back) for my comm tank. Any bro care to share your experience with NP BP. Tks
Old 26-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

i believe these pellets are supposed to be used together with a reactor? not used as with normal bio medias, just dump into sump.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Snake07
Arofanatic

Hi Bro,

I got this reactor from Pet Mart..2 weeks ago..

It got clogged up after about 4 days...the flow rate drops..almost to zero.

I decided to remove the black sponge that comes along with the reactor and suppose to put near the top area of the reactor.

The reactor has been running for almost 1 week now..without the clogging issue..

I guess it will take weeks for us to see some impact..

I am running a tank of blood parrots..28 of them, they eat like pigs..and shit alot as well...will check this weekend on the ppm level of NO3...

Cheers!!!
Snake07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
eklikewhoa

Please keep updated bro!

I have been looking into this for a long time and right now running Seachem Purigen in reactor. Kept reading about how there needs to be a skimmer to export nutrients alongside the BP reactor so I held off on adding one.

If you could take water param readings now and again in a few weeks it will show if they work on fw too!
Old 27-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Yixian2328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake07 View Post
Hi Bro,

I got this reactor from Pet Mart..2 weeks ago..

It got clogged up after about 4 days...the flow rate drops..almost to zero.

I decided to remove the black sponge that comes along with the reactor and suppose to put near the top area of the reactor.

The reactor has been running for almost 1 week now..without the clogging issue..

I guess it will take weeks for us to see some impact..

I am running a tank of blood parrots..28 of them, they eat like pigs..and shit alot as well...will check this weekend on the ppm level of NO3...

Cheers!!!
Hi bro, may i suggest not to remove the black sponge filter as it will help to filter big residue from polluting your tank. I also bought the same package from Petmart (1000ml) last week and few days back i purchased and add in another similar set of reactor with NP Pellets. I do have a skimmer where it inlet suction is right infront one of the reactor outlet.

Unfortunately, after adding 2nd set of NP pellets + reactor, tank water become v polluted, cloudy and small powder form particles can visually detect in my 6ft. I have done 30% water change but still no improvement. Yesterday i remove one of the unit, flush it with tape water and mange to remove some of the powder in reactor. Also now i let it run in my small 3ft FGT (1 aro) and plan to re-install in my 6ft tank sump (4ft) after a week or so. So far i have not seen any abnormal behaviour of my 8 pcs comm + 11 other community. They are eating well, but nitrate level still remain high 160ppm.

Also I initially have similar problem like yours with suction problem, but it can be rectified easily by using one finger to block the outlet of reactor (for 1 to 2 sec) a few times till u see the pellets at the bottom of reactor start floating up.

I have done some research online and found many positive feedbacks on Marine tank maintaining undetectable nitrate after NP Pellets reactor. I saw a post and reply from NP Pellets manufacture confirming it is also suitable for fresh water but best to run with skimmer and plenty aeration.

Few days before setting up 1st NP pellets reactor, i bought a 2nd hand unit of aquaripure denitrator (large size) at AFT. Am thinking of importing another x-large aquripure denitrator to cope with the forever high nitrate level in case NP pellets and current aquripure denitrator not able to handle the load. I have done 30% water change once every 2 days and it is very tiring and time consuming.

Sorry for my poor English and description. I hope some kind bro with high bioload able to share with us how they cope with nitrate level without frequent water change.

Cheers for a good Friday!!!
Old 27-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
illumnae
Dragon

I think bro vic is using NP pellets in his amazing tank lol....hopefully he'll see this thread and share his experiences.
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote