Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 22-07-2016, 03:43 AM   #1
smy168
Arofanatic

Default To Tan or not Tan

So I'm a bit of a research freak...I've done some reading about tanning and I'm not going into the good or bad thing but curious of the absolute results and does the color stay or fade, do you need to continue tanning over the life of the aro?

Can you tan using LED or are T5s the better option?

New to Aros and just want to plan carefully.

Thanks

S
smy168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
gemukjarhee
Arofanatic

Reds need tanning, Gold - Up to you, some say normal viewing lights will do, some swear tanning works I use only a t8 light for my bbxb.
gemukjarhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
Dave57

yes, tanning needs to be continuous for as long as you want to maintain the color of the fish.

color potential of a fish is primarily dependent on its genes. diet, tanning and water conditions compliment the color development.

light source is dependent on individual's belief.
Sunlight, home florescent tubes, LED, UV, specific tanning bulbs, T5, T8, etc...

Daily tanning duration is also dependent on individual practice. Some say 24 hours, some do 8 hours a day.
Old 25-07-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

I believe there was a thread about this some time ago about tanning.

If I remember right, someone said (and I agree) that genes determine a certain base and top range achievable for the fish. Tanning, improves on the colour through the use of UVA/UVB to enhancing the colouration on the scales. Lighting, not to be confused with tanning, further improves the visual appeal of the fish for the viewer.

To draw some parallels to real life.. Take a human, for example. Genetics will determine your base skin colour. Tanning (at a tanning salon or visiting the beach, etc) will "improve" (females will probably disagree) your skin colour. Finally, under appropriate lighting, you will seem more attractive to some people (and this is personal preference).

To answer your other question, I am of the believe that tanning needs to be maintained for prolonged periods, much like how human skin will eventually lighten up after you finally decided to give up on beach activities and start working in an office 24/7..

Sent from my iNO 3 using Tapatalk
vadriewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #5
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Bro vadriewyn, i like your example

But for girls, I prefer fair fair type la... dark dark not my liking as is just not my taste but for aro, better as red as it can be
ThomasLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 12:46 AM   #6
smy168
Arofanatic

See, once you went with females...I understood. Been reading, apparently the chromatophores are the genes that dictate levels of color, so if done correctly, coupled with water params and diet, the "base" colors stay pretty well kept.

Any links to explain is well appreciated!

Steven
smy168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 12:20 AM   #7
stargazer
Dragon

Maybe can have 2 lights - red and white. After tan, have option to on white light to appreciate in normal light. Last time when I kept aros I got these 2 diff light.

Personally, I think the red would appear splendid in natural white light.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote