Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 21-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #51
ymmij
Senior Dragon

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #52
ymmij
Senior Dragon

Some information with regards to by-election we have discussed earlier:

MPs debate by-election laws in Parliament
By Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 27 August 2008 2106 hrs

SINGAPORE : Parliament saw a lively debate on Wednesday as Members of Parliament (MPs) spoke on the issue of by-election laws in Singapore.

Eight MPs spoke on the motion to fine-tune the electoral system - tabled after the death of MP Dr Ong Chit Chung in July. He had been part of the five-member Jurong Group Representation Constituency (GRC).

Filing the motion were Nominated MPs Thio Li-ann and Dr Loo Choon Yong.

Among the changes mooted under the Parliamentary Elections Act is that a by-election should be called for if a seat is vacated by a GRC member from a minority community, half or more elected GRC members, or a member of a single member constituency.

Both MPs also argued that by-elections should be called within three months from the date of vacancy, unless the Parliamentary term is due to expire within six months from the date of vacancy.

Under the current law, the timing of any by-election is up to the prime minister.

MPs who argued for the motion noted that the changes will strengthen the practice of elective democracy in Singapore. They also pointed to residents being short-changed if they do not have a dedicated representative in Parliament.

Professor Thio said: "Given the onerous burden of MPs and the importance of their constitutional role, do we really want them to take on more work and add to their many serious responsibilities? Five MPs may be able to carry out the work of six, but there will be a strain rather than peak performance.

"I do not doubt their dedication, but we are all mortal and finite beings, and fatigue will set in at some stage. I am sure we all agree that Singapore citizens deserve the best of their representatives, with a full house and all hands on deck."

But this sentiment was swiftly shot down by MP for Jurong GRC Madam Halimah Yacob who said that since Dr Ong's passing, the remaining four MPs have attended more than 15 activities at Bukit Batok and handled five Meet-the-People Sessions.

She noted that the true test of parliamentary elections is the ability of elected members to serve the people.

She said: "To me, the response of the grassroots leaders and the residents whom I had met is a great assurance. They gave us a strong mandate at the last GE (general election) and they knew that we would honour and respect that mandate even after the demise of one MP.

"They are confident that their interest and welfare will be taken care of. None have raised the issue of a by-election."

This was refuted by Nominated MP Siew Kum Hong, who said a street poll of about 300 Jurong residents showed that 56.8 per cent wanted a by-election.

Mr Siew said: "Sir, we are here today debating the nature of democracy in Singapore. Democracy is about the people, about how they have the power, and the people have spoken. They have spoken, their voice rings loud and clear, and they want a by-election."

Hri Kumar Nair, MP for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, also disagreed with the need for a by-election should a seat held by a minority MP be vacated.

He said: "In other words, who calls (for) the by-election? Is it the PM or the MP? With this motion, the power to call a by-election is placed in the hands of one MP, whether in the GRC or SMC (single member constituency). ... our laws (do not) extend such privileges to any single member, whether minority or otherwise."

One MP said that by doing so, it is like handing the veto power to a minority candidate which is not the intention of Parliament. - CNA/ms

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...372108/1/.html
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #53
smellyfish
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by therat View Post
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...124112/1/.html

GE: SM Goh urges for "clean fight" in GRC contest
By S Ramesh | Posted: 21 April 2011 1623 hrs

SINGAPORE: Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong who is the anchor Minister for the PAP's Marine Parade GRC team has urged for "a clean fight" in the upcoming contest in the GRC.
CCB the ones most likely to play smelly is them.
smellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #54
bonafido

booomzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57 View Post
Yes she is, women if her age still maintain so well.
Old 21-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #55
Stonedisc

Allow them to fight in SMC instead of hiding behind the "big shots" in GRC
Old 21-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #56
Freshman
Dragon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57 View Post
I think Dr Lily Neo is beautiful.
MILF.. nice!

Last edited by Freshman; 21-04-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #57
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by therat View Post
Writing in the MParader facebook page, Mr Goh emphasised there should be "no personal attacks, no rude language."
Well, ok there he goes, I give him due respect for that. He just wants to remind the opposition to stick to election and topics pertaining to that and nothing personal, no rude language. I like that!!

I am still feeling very pissed with what a PAP grassroot MEMBER said, which I felt it was insulting to my parents. I will register my displeasure with my friend later.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #58
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmmij
Originally Posted by ymmij View Post
We must remind ourselves we are voting for the PARTY, NOT Candidate.

Meaning if in a single ward the MP dies, there will not be a re-election coz that party won the seat, not the candidate. The party simply gets another person to take over.
sorry... it was in response to above, so the question in context should read "why doesnt the party simply gets another person to take over Dr. Balaji?"

Above post is contrary to my understanding, thot that we are voting for the candidate of a party, If MP dies/resigns/etc, the only way to replace him is by a by-election. No way party can simply find a replacement. Hope poster can clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon888 View Post
I don't get it. Thought you asking why "Why is there no replacement for Dr Bala".....so the link is provided....Apologise if I mis-understood...

No by-election in AMK GRC

NO BY-ELECTION has been planned to replace the late Dr Balaji, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said.

PM Lee told reporters that a by-election is not on the cards for Ang Mo Kio GRC. He saw no difficulty in the five other MPs taking over Dr Balaji's duties in the GRC's Cheng San-Seletar ward.

'There is nothing automatic about calling a by-election. We have discussed this many times,' he said in response to a reporter's question. This is in keeping with what happened in Jurong GRC, when a by-election was not called after MP Ong Chit Chung died in July 2008.
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #59
Andrew Tan
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafido View Post
Yes she is, women if her age still maintain so well.
U from 3 year old to 98 oso can huh???
Andrew Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #60
FireSpitter
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Tan View Post
U from 3 year old to 98 oso can huh???
Any rider!!!
FireSpitter is offline   Reply With Quote