Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 24-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
globalcookie
Dragon

From what I've read previously, soil helps to reduce pH and keep pH consistent at about 6.0 to 6.5 region. Some soil is rumoured to cause pH to drop to 6.0

Many shrimp keeping bros use soil to help contain pH I think. I am using some quartz/plastic based base. There's a large dw and reasonable amount of plants. I also use proper pH6.5 in my tank. My crs are doing well in this setup so far (with a lot of shrimplets).
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
Karpi

how much soil does a 2ft tank requires to fill 1cm in depth?

and how much does it cost for ADA?
Old 26-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
globalcookie
Dragon

If you are buying tank and soil from LFS at the same time, ask them to advise how much soil is needed.

I think 1 inch base is nicer and allows more room for break down shrimp waste to settle down into the base thus to me, i think that is better. Not forgetting, there are some BB in the base as well.

I've no idea of pricing. You can ask around a couple of LFS to have an idea of e avg price.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
dnsfpl
Dragon

i have no rooted plants, the purpose is to provide constant pH for my fanua

btw i am using gex light green pack
dnsfpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #15
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancai View Post
Hi just to ask, is soil a must for shrimps? can i use those small tiny stones?
This question is like asking, is soil a must for fish? Do you think all fish or shrimp has the same requirement?

Not all shrimps species has the same requirements and also depend on the setup if substrate is needed. And also depend on your water source parameter, and what can the soil offer to affect the water parameter to your advantage.

Substrate affects a tank, chemically, physically and mechcanically .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCP View Post
how much soil does a 2ft tank requires to fill 1cm in depth?

and how much does it cost for ADA?
60cm x 30cm x 1cm, that is 1.8litre of substrate

Last edited by silane; 27-07-2008 at 12:45 AM.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #16
maxtan

do we need to change the soil after several years? And how to we know when to change the soil?
Old 29-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #17
jwkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtan View Post
do we need to change the soil after several years? And how to we know when to change the soil?
Ada are know to lose its ph reducing property about two years..Gex also...if you don't change soil it ok but the breed of shrimp will stop or slow down..
Old 29-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #18
Curryfishhead

If you are looking to having Shrimps for a long time, you should try to use more soil as it will maintain the PH at 6.5 longer. You do not want to redo the setup every 12-18 months just because the soil loose its ability to maintain the PH at 6.5. You can get a 9L ADA Soil II which will give you about 4-5cm of soil. Try to go for at least 6cm. If you want more, you can buy loose quantity which some LFS does sell (but at a higher price).

Determine the kind of shrimps you need first. Some may require lower PH (6.0 - 6.5 for CRS, 6.5 - 7.0 for FR, 7.5 - 8 for Sulawesi).

Happy Shrimping.
Old 29-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #19
cheetf
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryfishhead View Post
If you are looking to having Shrimps for a long time, you should try to use more soil as it will maintain the PH at 6.5 longer. You do not want to redo the setup every 12-18 months just because the soil loose its ability to maintain the PH at 6.5. You can get a 9L ADA Soil II which will give you about 4-5cm of soil. Try to go for at least 6cm. If you want more, you can buy loose quantity which some LFS does sell (but at a higher price).

Determine the kind of shrimps you need first. Some may require lower PH (6.0 - 6.5 for CRS, 6.5 - 7.0 for FR, 7.5 - 8 for Sulawesi).

Happy Shrimping.
Not as simple as adding more soil. Also depends on amount and frequency of water change. On top of that if you have anything that alters the pH such as coral chips it will affect the pH lowering property of the soil also.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #20
Curryfishhead

From the Shifus here, will having a thicker soil make the soil last longer ?

Of course, we have to take into considerations (like frequency and amount of Water change, etc ) being constant.....I always thought so...