Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 23-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
BlurMil
Dragon

Default Sakura ray diet

Hi all,

I had got a 5-6"sakura for about 4 days le, but till not it has not eaten yet, where all other rays are eating, any advise on what will be an appetite opener for them?

I had tried torsat 2 days ago, tubifex worms yesterday. also tried mussels and mp, all it will not eat.

I am thinking of getting ghost shrimp today, hope it will open its golden mouth lor.
Need advise quick! thX in advance!!!
BlurMil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
naser90096
Endangered Dragon

Smile

finally got it huh??? it must be stressed during the bagging. where did u got it from??

u have to maintain very good water quality, and put it in a smaller tank/tub. i feed mine with torsats, start eating on 2nd day. after 2 weeks, seems stable, then i put into the main tank. is urs already in the main tank? if it is, then leave it there, no need to stress it further. torsats are a good start for new rays. tubifex, mussel, mp will just foul up the water. ghost shrimps might not be ideal as ur ray is a little weak (4 days not eating) and difficult for ray to catch. juz leave some torsats in the tank, it will come around and start eating something. importantly, dun meddle with any equipment or water parameters, leave it alone with less disturbance for the next few days.

gd luck.
naser90096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
naser90096
Endangered Dragon

Smile

also check water temperature. maintaining it at 29-30 degrees is also good as the metabolism rate will be increased, thus getting more hungry faster.

Old 24-03-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
Yj1

wad rays u keep ur sakura with? mayb they too aggressive when feeding
Old 25-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
BlurMil
Dragon

I have got 2 sakuras with 3 motoro. 1 sakura eating, but not the other lor.
also noted that they are very slow hunters, so intend to keep separate for the moment.
i fed tubifex worms n seems like it is eating very little now.
Right abot the shrimp, they nv suceed in catching it, even the motoro also having difficulty.

Now also clearing the 11" male motoro, hopefully reduce some bio load, and more impt is to reduce stress to the small sakuras.
Old 25-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
BlurMil
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by naser90096 View Post
finally got it huh??? it must be stressed during the bagging. where did u got it from??

u have to maintain very good water quality, and put it in a smaller tank/tub. i feed mine with torsats, start eating on 2nd day. after 2 weeks, seems stable, then i put into the main tank. is urs already in the main tank? if it is, then leave it there, no need to stress it further. torsats are a good start for new rays. tubifex, mussel, mp will just foul up the water. ghost shrimps might not be ideal as ur ray is a little weak (4 days not eating) and difficult for ray to catch. juz leave some torsats in the tank, it will come around and start eating something. importantly, dun meddle with any equipment or water parameters, leave it alone with less disturbance for the next few days.

gd luck.
mine already in main tank ah. cos after putting the first in, its adapting well, so just did the same for no.2. transport should be fine for my side, got it then bring home immd, no twist, roll , sway or whatever during the drive of 20min.
maybe its due to transport from the fish supplier to lfs, cos when i got it, it wasn't even unbagged! still in big bag on the lfs shop floor!
Old 25-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
flinstone
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurMil View Post
Hi all,

I had got a 5-6"sakura for about 4 days le, but till not it has not eaten yet, where all other rays are eating, any advise on what will be an appetite opener for them?

I had tried torsat 2 days ago, tubifex worms yesterday. also tried mussels and mp, all it will not eat.

I am thinking of getting ghost shrimp today, hope it will open its golden mouth lor.
Need advise quick! thX in advance!!!
I got this problem first few days with feeding also...till I let it stable for 1 or 2 days till it's hungry..then I feed it with frozen ghost shrimp...then it started eating like no 2morow..

Btw, where you got yr Sakura from? C328? got pic to share?
flinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
BlurMil
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinstone View Post
I got this problem first few days with feeding also...till I let it stable for 1 or 2 days till it's hungry..then I feed it with frozen ghost shrimp...then it started eating like no 2morow..

Btw, where you got yr Sakura from? C328? got pic to share?
ya, i got it from c328. i had transfered both sakuras to a separate "tank" which is a styrofoam box! load in the canister and fill with water from maintank.

b4 that, i dump 1 pack of $2 torsat i nn they are eating now. the male one that was already ok, ate within a minute aft it was put in.

the female one still note very keen to eat, din see it hunt thou, but its not so skinny now, so guess it had eaten.

now torsat finishing soon, plan to starve it for 1-2 days, then feed torsat aft that piece by piece to monitor which ate more.

Will only transfer back to main tank after both can hunt n eat well.

no pics yet cos still not stable enough to show.
but aft transfer from my main black base tank to a white base foam box, both fishes turned white! sian......
Old 28-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #9
naser90096
Endangered Dragon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurMil View Post
ya, i got it from c328. i had transfered both sakuras to a separate "tank" which is a styrofoam box! load in the canister and fill with water from maintank.

b4 that, i dump 1 pack of $2 torsat i nn they are eating now. the male one that was already ok, ate within a minute aft it was put in.

the female one still note very keen to eat, din see it hunt thou, but its not so skinny now, so guess it had eaten.

now torsat finishing soon, plan to starve it for 1-2 days, then feed torsat aft that piece by piece to monitor which ate more.

Will only transfer back to main tank after both can hunt n eat well.

no pics yet cos still not stable enough to show.
but aft transfer from my main black base tank to a white base foam box, both fishes turned white! sian......
dun worry about the colour for now, cos it wun develop so fast ... just concentrate on pumping them up ... anyway, i notice these guys dun eat much as compared to the other rays ....

bro, since u already have them out of the main tank, why not train on mp as well ... first u have to fatten them up ~ 1week or so ... then starve for 1 day. next feeding, cut up mp to very small slices and mix with torsat (40/60% torsat). u cut up the torsats to get the blood out and marinate for 5 minutes. the mix should be small ammount as u dun wan the rays to eat too much. put in the mix a little at a time. they will start to chew on the mp but not swallow yet ... this for the next few days. slowly they will start to swallow the mp as they become hungry day by day. then u should increase the mp % and reduce the torsat % until it is fully on mp. then continue to feed mp for the few days to ensure that they are feeding well on it. if initially dun succeed, then put in live tarsats after 1 week of trial, then try again ....

gd luck bro ....
Old 29-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #10
BlurMil
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by naser90096 View Post
dun worry about the colour for now, cos it wun develop so fast ... just concentrate on pumping them up ... anyway, i notice these guys dun eat much as compared to the other rays ....

bro, since u already have them out of the main tank, why not train on mp as well ... first u have to fatten them up ~ 1week or so ... then starve for 1 day. next feeding, cut up mp to very small slices and mix with torsat (40/60% torsat). u cut up the torsats to get the blood out and marinate for 5 minutes. the mix should be small ammount as u dun wan the rays to eat too much. put in the mix a little at a time. they will start to chew on the mp but not swallow yet ... this for the next few days. slowly they will start to swallow the mp as they become hungry day by day. then u should increase the mp % and reduce the torsat % until it is fully on mp. then continue to feed mp for the few days to ensure that they are feeding well on it. if initially dun succeed, then put in live tarsats after 1 week of trial, then try again ....

gd luck bro ....
K, noted on the recipe. will try that soon.