Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 19-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #11
millenium
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson View Post
Why do we have to blame scholars for all things we don’t like?
Pay as you thrash is not new.
It’s already happened in Korea more than 15 years ago, though I am not sure whether it nation wide or certain development only.
It is only natural that ones that approved plans that waste lots of public fund and create a big mess are held accountable.
millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 10:25 PM   #12
condor
Dragon

Please don't

My neighbor below bought some furniture early this year
Instead of asking town council for help
They simply just put it outside the lift on their level and mine

I have to inform the town council for help to remove them after a week

Cant imagine if they just leave their household rubbish there
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #13
millenium
Senior Dragon

No doubt we r throwing away too many stuff. It is correct to reduce food wastage, to reduce bulky items, to reduce plastic rubbish littering, to improve soil quality, to enforce proper foam box disposal. It is not easy, i hope to see concrete plan that is executed from a-z. This is not just a local issue but a worldwide issue. I think becoming more serious since china no longer recieved money for importing wastes.
Old 20-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #14
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenghan View Post
Really hope this stupid idea do not get implemented otherwise be prepared to thread through rubbish to get to the lift on staircase landings and lift landings in void deck
I just wonder how they are gg to implement it? Seal off all household rubbish chutes, and make everyone use centralized chutes (bringing down the waste to centralize collection for those households with chutes in the unit?).

This is gg to be quite tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenium View Post
If they want control trash, very easy. Limit plastic, make everyone bring stainless steel container, reusable bags and utensils
...Also, revamp the civil service, those top level with ridiculous ideas need to be removed
Amy Khor is the first to be removed!

"Imposing a charge or ban on disposable plastic bags and substituting them with other types of disposable bags is unlikely to improve environmental outcomes," said Dr Amy Khor, Senior Minister of State for the Environment and Water Resources.

She went on to say, we incinerate. Come on! It takes energy to produce, and dispose, and burning is also harmful to ozone. Instead of instructing her ministry to educate the public, she gave such a flabbergast reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenghan View Post
Later those staying in HDB...charges impose for those higher usage of the lifts.....their rationale.....make singaporeans healthy...use the staircase.
Wouldn't be overly surprise this become a reality someday in the future... use payment cards to activate the lift.

Quote:
Singapore streets are no longer clean anymore.

By the way, who approve the share bike system without proper thinking and planning. This is a good case study for planning to fail or failing to plan.
I still hear foreigners say Singapore is a very clean city. On my recent trip to Phiippines, I noticed, well, it's not as if their streets are dirty. The difference is probably, our roads and streets are properly paved, lots of plants and grass covers all over, thus the apparent look of being clean. In many developing countries (never been to Europe or far away countries to comment), their pavements are not well paved, we probably don't see much grass or plants along the streets/common places, thus it appears dirty there.

On our no longer clean country, long ago, before this current so called 3G gov, streets are swept regularly (daily even), thus we barely see much dead leaves. NOW, it seems like, street cleaning is weekly. Everywhere we turn, dead leaves.... What happened to the Clean And Green City we were once accustomed with? NO MORE! Cost cutting by appointing the cheapest contractor, who only does cleaning once a week? Even drain covers along the roads, are choke and I had feedback several times till i give up! HOPELESS!

Bicycle sharing, to be fair, it is a good scheme, probably they expect users to be civil about it, but we have very little civic consciousness here. Users who abused the system are ANIMALS! ILL Educated individuals abuses such good system, that tax payers needs to pay for the construction of parking bays around the country.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #15
millenium
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
I still hear foreigners say Singapore is a very clean city. On my recent trip to Phiippines, I noticed, well, it's not as if their streets are dirty. The difference is probably, our roads and streets are properly paved, lots of plants and grass covers all over, thus the apparent look of being clean. In many developing countries (never been to Europe or far away countries to comment), their pavements are not well paved, we probably don't see much grass or plants along the streets/common places, thus it appears dirty there.

On our no longer clean country, long ago, before this current so called 3G gov, streets are swept regularly (daily even), thus we barely see much dead leaves. NOW, it seems like, street cleaning is weekly. Everywhere we turn, dead leaves.... What happened to the Clean And Green City we were once accustomed with? NO MORE! Cost cutting by appointing the cheapest contractor, who only does cleaning once a week? Even drain covers along the roads, are choke and I had feedback several times till i give up! HOPELESS!

Bicycle sharing, to be fair, it is a good scheme, probably they expect users to be civil about it, but we have very little civic consciousness here. Users who abused the system are ANIMALS! ILL Educated individuals abuses such good system, that tax payers needs to pay for the construction of parking bays around the country.
Maybe what kind of foreigners matters, from japan/taiwan versus india/indonesia. Their opinions will be different. I try to pick up plastic rubbish, discarded food and cigrette packagings whenever i can and put in the bin. There are lots threw inside the greeneries. I hv a neighbour that pick up rubbish with a bag along our street. Despite of that, our street is only 10-20% cleaner.

Bike sharing failure is not just about inconsiderate users that threw the bikes everywhere. There is some supply and demand issue from the beginning, also the infrastructures adequate to support lots of bikes on the road and parking.

Last edited by millenium; 20-03-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 20-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #16
jwhtan
Barney

I actually think bike sharing is a great idea.

We got to look at ourselves honestly. Why do we all need legislation for anything to work ?
I think the demand for bikes is huge, which is why bikes are all over the place. It is spilled onto the roads itself. On parking lots meant for cars.

It is strewn all over the grass patch.

Bikes are so convenient. People take from mrt stations, ride to their workplace. And then scatter them all over the place.
And now, they have no bikes. They walk.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #17
millenium
Senior Dragon

Hahaha. Maybe the root of the problems are we are over populated.

I am biased as i do not use those bikes, they cant be used to climb the slopes in my estate is one reason.

By the way, so the bike companies pull out because they cannot ensure bikes are put at designated areas, but the demand is very big? Is that what u are saying?
Old 20-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #18
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
We got to look at ourselves honestly. Why do we all need legislation for anything to work ?
It is strewn all over the grass patch.
And now, they have no bikes. They walk.
Don't quite like what LKY said, but he is right about it somehow...

If you can select a population and they're educated and they're properly brought up, then you don't have to use too much of the stick because they would already have been trained. It's like with dogs. You train it in a proper way from small. It will know that it's got to leave, go outside to pee and to defecate. No, we are not that kind of society. We had to train adult dogs who even today deliberately urinate in the lifts.

It is, indeed, like dogs! When humans are given the liberty to be civil about things, some behave like dogs (worst than dogs) and needs to be trained.

The others who are civil, too bad, those dogs just have to ruin things.

Quote:
Hahaha. Maybe the root of the problems are we are over populated.

By the way, so the bike companies pull out because they cannot ensure bikes are put at designated areas, but the demand is very big? Is that what u are saying?
I don't think it is the problem with over populated. Singapore land size can actually host more than our current population. Infrastructures are improved over the last few years. Problem is still those 'dogs' that are scattered around the island.

Demand is definitely there. How many of us have the space to keep a bike at home? Not everyone. However, with bike sharing, it allows people to commute short distance, without needing to own a bike. It was so heavily used to some extend.

Now, with the limitations, these companies are unlikely going to make much money out of the whole scheme.

----------------------

Why does car sharing seems to work better? Cars are much more costly to hire, and must be dock back to designated place. So, those users of car sharing schemes, are less likely to abuse. They are more educated, more civil.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #19
millenium
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Don't quite like what LKY said, but he is right about it somehow...

If you can select a population and they're educated and they're properly brought up, then you don't have to use too much of the stick because they would already have been trained. It's like with dogs. You train it in a proper way from small. It will know that it's got to leave, go outside to pee and to defecate. No, we are not that kind of society. We had to train adult dogs who even today deliberately urinate in the lifts.

It is, indeed, like dogs! When humans are given the liberty to be civil about things, some behave like dogs (worst than dogs) and needs to be trained.

The others who are civil, too bad, those dogs just have to ruin things.

I don't think it is the problem with over populated. Singapore land size can actually host more than our current population. Infrastructures are improved over the last few years. Problem is still those 'dogs' that are scattered around the island.

Demand is definitely there. How many of us have the space to keep a bike at home? Not everyone. However, with bike sharing, it allows people to commute short distance, without needing to own a bike. It was so heavily used to some extend.

Now, with the limitations, these companies are unlikely going to make much money out of the whole scheme.

----------------------

Why does car sharing seems to work better? Cars are much more costly to hire, and must be dock back to designated place. So, those users of car sharing schemes, are less likely to abuse. They are more educated, more civil.
Comparing 80's, 90's, 2k's, 2010's envronment, i am not convinced population dun mk a difference. The increase in waste generated, the cultural conflict, too close for comfort without enough technologies to neutralise the anxiety.
Old 20-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #20
Robson
Arofanatic

Quote:
It is only natural that ones that approved plans that waste lots of public fund and create a big mess are held accountable.
Agreed.
But the one that approves isn’t always a scholar.
Robson is offline   Reply With Quote