Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 31-07-2005, 04:38 PM   #51
arorules

are your 30+ kois from japan?

IMO if from thai, not worth time ,effort, water, food...

culls those which are not growing or the colour is fading... or ifother colours are popping out of the skin
Old 31-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #52
CoolPix
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arorules
are your 30+ kois from japan?

IMO if from thai, not worth time ,effort, water, food...

culls those which are not growing or the colour is fading... or ifother colours are popping out of the skin
Mine are all from Japanese farms like Momo, Daninishi, Maruyama. Konishi, etc. So far they are growing well. Just that every visit to the koi farms, I will end up getting new ones. Prefer to keep the female ones though the male ones are usually brighter in color. Heart pain to cull.

Last edited by CoolPix; 31-07-2005 at 08:43 PM.
CoolPix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 10:03 PM   #53
arorules

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolPix
Mine are all from Japanese farms like Momo, Daninishi, Maruyama. Konishi, etc. So far they are growing well. Just that every visit to the koi farms, I will end up getting new ones. Prefer to keep the female ones though the male ones are usually brighter in color. Heart pain to cull.

Omgosh!... japan koi and u keep adding new ones and CULL!?!?

woah..burn a big pocket leh.... must control la brudder.... Where u cull to may i ask? a japan koi like these can cost $200+
Old 31-07-2005, 10:18 PM   #54
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Quote:
Walau, pocket must be deep deep.
Aroboy II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:27 AM   #55
CoolPix
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arorules
Omgosh!... japan koi and u keep adding new ones and CULL!?!?

woah..burn a big pocket leh.... must control la brudder.... Where u cull to may i ask? a japan koi like these can cost $200+
Brudder,
No la... usually bought them when young (less than 20cm) or those tategoi, keep them till certain size and cull some of them if I have to give create for the newer ones. Either give them to friends or sell them at less than half the price through the farms. Still keep those with sentimental values.

Dun mistaken. I have no deep pocket la....... Still learning but expensive lesson when I started this hobby cos ended up kanna con few times. Paying high price for the koi does not mean one will sure get the quality ones. Many times also have to 'tikum'. Lots of factors like bloodline, quality, water condition, feed, etc also count. But those kois brought in by the local farms may not necessarily be the high quality ones. Now that I know the farmers better, I have better discount. Need to be selective now cos also running out of space.
CoolPix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:07 AM   #56
Dragon Fish
Dragon

Quote:
Brudder,
No la... usually bought them when young (less than 20cm) or those tategoi, keep them till certain size and cull some of them if I have to give create for the newer ones. Either give them to friends or sell them at less than half the price through the farms. Still keep those with sentimental values.

Dun mistaken. I have no deep pocket la....... Still learning but expensive lesson when I started this hobby cos ended up kanna con few times. Paying high price for the koi does not mean one will sure get the quality ones. Many times also have to 'tikum'. Lots of factors like bloodline, quality, water condition, feed, etc also count. But those kois brought in by the local farms may not necessarily be the high quality ones. Now that I know the farmers better, I have better discount. Need to be selective now cos also running out of space.
it's always a big risk when a very small koi is purchased. the recommend size for a guaranteed koi is 35 to 45 cm.

i have a koi videa showing how breeder culled koi even at 6cm. they've very sharp eyes for potential koi and those small ones that u've purchased are the ones that may have been culled.

Just my 2 cents
Dragon Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:47 AM   #57
ydolphin
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Fish
it's always a big risk when a very small koi is purchased. the recommend size for a guaranteed koi is 35 to 45 cm.

i have a koi videa showing how breeder culled koi even at 6cm. they've very sharp eyes for potential koi and those small ones that u've purchased are the ones that may have been culled.

Just my 2 cents
saw one such video before... and the culled fry are all thrown into rivers and streams.. which means in Japan, one can still find quality koi swimming in nature!
ydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #58
terence28

Hi Everyone,

I was asked by jason to come & support this thread.... of course i am very happy to come & say hi to fellow koi lovers here! Will dig out some pics to share when i go hme to my PC...

Currently i only have a handful of koi left... 50+ - 70+cm still in Nippon Koi Farm.

Cheers!
Old 01-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #59
ericna

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence28
Hi Everyone,

I was asked by jason to come & support this thread.... of course i am very happy to come & say hi to fellow koi lovers here! Will dig out some pics to share when i go hme to my PC...

Currently i only have a handful of koi left... 50+ - 70+cm still in Nippon Koi Farm.

Cheers!
Bro u mean,u rent a pond and rear it there?
Old 01-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #60
Dragon Fish
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence28
Hi Everyone,

Cheers!
Thanks Terence for your kind support.

Cheers,
Jason
Dragon Fish is offline   Reply With Quote