Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > AquaMedics Board & Pet Loss > Pet Loss

Old 26-07-2003, 07:37 AM   #1
Aaron Kent

Default Turmoil

It has always been my belief that pets take bad karma on our behalf. Sounds ridiculous without any scientific basis, and although I try not to associate it that way, it always brings me back.

I notice that the fish I do not really care about seems to be invincible regardless of the species and delicate sensitivity. When something bad is happening, be it career, health or relationship, fish that are important to me just bites the dust. Recently I've had an unbelievable time. Within one week I've had ick, ammonia, oxygen deficiency, toxic chemical etc... of which I managed to fix each one with a lot of self control and patience. I stopped myself from making drastic water changes, medicating, and stressing the fishes by moving them (despite my instincts which dictated me to do those things). But, they just kept dying one by one. Just when the water was stabilized and all is well, what happens is my fish swallowed the suction cap from the airpump I installed a couple of days ago to increase aeration. No wonder there was this strange bulge on the stomach. Anyway, after seeing this last night, I gave up and just said, whatever!

It is just like those movies wherein they can turn back time but no matter how much effort they put, those who would die just keep on dying over and over. It is as if you have cheated death but he keeps coming back to claim his victim until he is successful. So then there is the philosophy question: Negligence and stupidity on our part or just simply time to die?

Well, I know eventually everyone and everything (alive) dies. So did our fishes die due to our faults or were we just a tool for the inevitable.

I know it sucks, but you guys just take heart and be brave. Don't do it intentionally, and when they pass away, no matter how much we feel at fault, it appears that we are tricked due to our ignorance or carelessness, but who really is responsible for the death? After learning so much on the causes of death and the remedy, it seems fate can still come up with some new thing to take away what is due.
Old 27-07-2003, 04:00 PM   #2
Sonikbyte

Bro sometimes prevent is hard too.. As the saying goes prevent is better than cure.
Old 27-07-2003, 07:03 PM   #3
Joop
Endangered Dragon

When times comes..hard to prevent it..

So it good that we once ENJOY our times with the ones you loves most, Be it human or pets..

Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2003, 02:03 AM   #4
Desolator

Quote:
Originally posted by Joop
When times comes..hard to prevent it..

So it good that we once ENJOY our times with the ones you loves most, Be it human or pets..

I concurs with u.
Old 29-07-2003, 03:11 AM   #5
KJam

very well put Aaron. most often you must chalk it up to destiny. it's not productive to beat oneself up over mistakes, but most important to learn from them.

when i was young, my mom used to tell me that when my fish died it was because they were accepting my bad luck for me and preventing something from happening to me. i've carried that to this day.
Old 29-07-2003, 03:37 AM   #6
Aaron Kent

Default Old Beliefs

Same here KJam, my mother was the one who told me that. I'm skeptical by nature but I don't believe in coincidence. Lately things started to look brighter, and the deaths stopped. The fish coughed out the suction cap and everyone is eating again. All seems well at the moment, probably until the next turmoil in my life.

If there is one thing that this forum has taught me, aside from how to prevent the common methodology of death, it is the cause and effect. All the anger and guilt because the fish is so expensive, and worse of all, is endangered. We attribute it to carelessness, stupidity, lack of attention and just plain ignorance. All the while, at the end of the day, it was a lesson to be learned over an event that was inevitable. So far nobody intentionally wanted to kill their fish, it just happened. We grieve and then we grow... anyone ever thought that maybe these fish served a higher purpose in the grand scheme of things? Molds your character and personality. And in the meantime, they sure are nice to watch and behold...
Old 29-07-2003, 04:58 AM   #7
KJam

I like your philosophy in Aro keeping Aaron Kent. It's similiar to my own in that the fish can become an extension of your character. Not in terms of literally or that the fish represents your personality. But that in caring for and being able to appreciate the beauty of another living thing helps to develop the empathetic side of our character.

On a side note, I just visited "EmperorPond" a couple weeks ago. His Blood Red is in my gallery. Hope your RTG finishes well and provides you with untold hours of pleasure.
Old 30-07-2003, 02:15 AM   #8
Aaron Kent

Default Emperor Pond

You visited Emperor Pond? How is Joe doing? I have been trying to get in touch with him for the longest time. I did notice that the cabinet looks a lot like his... no wonder.

Anyway, I'm very glad to hear that.
Old 30-07-2003, 03:37 AM   #9
Dennis T.

Smile Nice to hear from you again!

Hey Buddy, (Don't know how else to address you since you use the names of your Aros. )

Long time no see! (Well, I haven't been on Arofanatics much or I just didn't notice you.) How are you?

I'm glad to hear that your Aro coughed out the suction cup and that things are 'brighter' now.

Take care, my friend!

Dennis
Old 02-08-2003, 03:39 AM   #10
KJam

Default Re: Emperor Pond

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Kent
You visited Emperor Pond? How is Joe doing? I have been trying to get in touch with him for the longest time. I did notice that the cabinet looks a lot like his... no wonder.

Anyway, I'm very glad to hear that.
He's doing well, on vacation with the family for a couple weeks now. Still doing his thing with his aros and kois, although he has me trying to scout out lo hans for him. Unfortunately, the colour scheme he's looking for is hard to come by.

I'll send him your regards next time I see him.