Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 14-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
PatrikLim
Dragon

Default ice cube into planted tank

Hi All,

Does anyone tried the above? Because my temp remain at 28-29 and my moss turning brown... moss prefer cooler temp like 26 right?

i throw in some ice cube from my freezer but i notice the tank got smell...
PatrikLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
ngphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrikLim View Post
Hi All,

Does anyone tried the above? Because my temp remain at 28-29 and my moss turning brown... moss prefer cooler temp like 26 right?

i think,you can try freezing it,with the plastic bottle.and dip the bottle,that has frozen ice thereafter.but beware,it might have a sudden change in your tank temperature.
Old 14-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
ostrava

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrikLim View Post
Hi All,

Bro what type of smell? If possible u can use a fan or chiller to cool down ur tank instead of ice cube coz after the ice melt, temperature will raise again.
Old 14-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
PatrikLim
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngphon View Post
i think,you can try freezing it,with the plastic bottle.and dip the bottle,that has frozen ice thereafter.but beware,it might have a sudden change in your tank temperature.
ya, i shall try that instead throw the ice cube. my planted tank still cycling without fishes so no worry. I am trying to see whether can work out anything on the moss or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrava View Post
Bro what type of smell? If possible u can use a fan or chiller to cool down ur tank instead of ice cube coz after the ice melt, temperature will raise again.
smell like refrigerator when we keep all those fishes, prawn, meat... etc
i think is because the ice cube i throw in from.
I have a fan install but temp maintain at 28-29... lighting on for 8-hour daly by timer
Old 14-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
ngphon

i was think ,the water that drain out from the aircon pipe.those water don't know, is it possible to use on the planted tank.??????
Old 14-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
PatrikLim
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngphon View Post
i was think ,the water that drain out from the aircon pipe.those water don't know, is it possible to use on the planted tank.??????
i think ice from the refrigerator is not advise as the frozen meat are kept together... that why my tank got such smell, i shall try your advise. put into water bottle or cover up the ice cube with plastic bag
Old 14-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
goldfish02

place your tank in aircon room much easier or chiller which cost alot to maintain
Old 15-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
BuTLeR

bro be more patience .... some plants needs time to adapt to your water ..... my moss are growing well at 28C . a fan is enough for moss to grow .... what moss you keep ?
Old 15-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
afters

You got aircon in that room? Can try ice packs. Turn on the aircon at night, freeze ice packs at night before you sleep. Morning wake up, turn off the aircon, put ice packs in tank, go work. Evening come home, take out the ice packs, turn on the aircon, freeze ice packs in the fridge for tomorrow. You get the picture. This method has been proven effective with maintaining a low tank temperature for CRS, but a tad too troublesome. Nothing beats having a fan/chiller. Some moss grow well with just fan. Browning can also be due to a lack of nutrients in your tank, or the moss may simply be undergoing the acclimatization period. What moss are you keeping and how long have you kept them for?
Old 15-08-2009, 01:11 AM   #10
soclimbn

Quote:
Originally Posted by afters View Post
You got aircon in that room? Can try ice packs. Turn on the aircon at night, freeze ice packs at night before you sleep. Morning wake up, turn off the aircon, put ice packs in tank, go work. Evening come home, take out the ice packs, turn on the aircon, freeze ice packs in the fridge for tomorrow. You get the picture. This method has been proven effective with maintaining a low tank temperature for CRS, but a tad too troublesome. Nothing beats having a fan/chiller. Some moss grow well with just fan.
hehe...I was using the same method !!! find it too much work to enjoy my planted tank

end up installing more powerful fan....voila problem solved

Yes most plants need time to adapt but our itchy hand keep changing something in tank b4 parameters really stablise