Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 14-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #101
wilson6
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
secret society ..... Ang Soon Tong ..... 18
seriously i also thought of that. hahaha
wilson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #102
lionheart
Arofanatic

just wondering...is ml-xtreme out of the question for consideration other than ast and prime/safe?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #103
ahhKiatz
Dragon

Not sure about other fishes, but i am doing 10% to 50% wc daily for my wild caught apistogrammas and their few days old fry. So far everything ok, no sign of stress or death. Am using AST
ahhKiatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #104
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
secret society ..... Ang Soon Tong ..... 18
i dunno what that is
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #105
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
just wondering...is ml-xtreme out of the question for consideration other than ast and prime/safe?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
i think generally speaking as long as the AC brand u use can handle chloramine without causing ammonia spike, and one practises proper aquarium husbandry and procedure during WC ( dont blast the tap water... dont underdose or overdose by way too much... dont do massive changes if ur tap water parameters are noticeably diff from tank's etc), no need to worry too much about what brand.

the more popular / reputable brands mentioned are coz ppl have tested them n have found them to be good enough for the more sensitive / expensive fish. doesnt mean they're the only brands that should n can be used.

how u carry out your WC is also very important.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #106
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post
i think generally speaking as long as the AC brand u use can handle chloramine without causing ammonia spike, and one practises proper aquarium husbandry and procedure during WC ( dont blast the tap water... dont underdose or overdose by way too much... dont do massive changes if ur tap water parameters are noticeably diff from tank's etc), no need to worry too much about what brand.

the more popular / reputable brands mentioned are coz ppl have tested them n have found them to be good enough for the more sensitive / expensive fish. doesnt mean they're the only brands that should n can be used.

Hear hear
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #107
Brichardi
Dragon

Quote:

Got it.

The thing is I'm the risk-taking fishkeeper and doing almost the opposite/extreme of what a normal good fishkeeper should do during WC (more frequency/20~25%/etc). My WC regime is...
1. 80~90% WC for tanganyikans (as long as the fish has water to cover head), 70~80% WC for plecos
2. 7~10 days (could stretch to 14 days when I'm lazy)
3. Full tap blast (saves time/too many tanks)
4. Overdosage of 20~100% (Agar agar one)
As I was saying...I used Prime for 2 years and recently changed to Safe to cut costs and both has proven remarkably well....meaning little/no losses after WC, regardless of fries/adults. Ofc, this risky method is NOT recommended to anyone, best to follow accordingly and be safer like bro Amiidae.
What suits me may NOT be suitable for others but I do admit that I'm a risk taker and Prime/Safe works very well for my risks. BTW I'm keeping plecos/angels and tanganyikans.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:27 PM   #108
millenium
Senior Dragon

Quote:

I used to think change a bit water maybe below 20% for hardy fish no need add anti chlorine/chloramine. I think it is a big mistake, chloramine will destroy bb and mess up the filter media. After that the water has a weird smell and fish become stress and sick. Nowadays I always add the powder. If I change more than 50%, I add bb powder as well.
millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #109
Tay
Dragon

Actually we had been emphasizing again & again that if watever ac u r using wks for u, then cont to use it as long as one is happy. We r here to exchange knowledge , learn more &,not here to force pple to change to new ac. These info will help pple with ac or water problem thru understanding how ac wks. Some bros had shared their experience on danger of over dosing certain ac,...etc. all these info for us to understand the correct usage and not abt trying to blacklist this ac or that and to promote the other. I hope all could read, learn with an open mind. Don think too much. Ac won make anyone rich, including myself.
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 02:31 AM   #110
Tustar
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan_gal View Post
I itchy backside accidentally overdosed Prime 2 weeks ago coz i mistakenly tot it was Fritz#9 (Dun ask me why. I think is stress + ghost cover eyes)

Din realised it till the next day. And the fishes started to show signs of stress.
how much you overdose wat what tank size
Tustar is offline   Reply With Quote