Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 07-10-2007, 03:30 AM   #41
atom

Here is a typical commercial denitrator design. Some comes with added feature like ORP adaptor and additional inlet for feeding.

Advantage
1. Top cover can be remove easily for maintenance.
2. Recirculation pump to prevent dead spot.
3. ORP facililty for auto flowrate controlling.

Disadvantage
1. Cost.
2. Sometimes over-rated.
3. Poor instruction manual.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:39 AM   #42
Koji™
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Advantage
1. Top cover can be remove easily for maintenance.
2. Recirculation pump to prevent dead spot.
3. ORP facililty for auto flowrate controlling.

Disadvantage
1. Cost.
2. Sometimes over-rated.
3. Poor instruction manual.
I seen the commercial denitrator before and open them up. Seen the circulating pump builded in. Like you said, cost and sometime overrated.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 AM   #43
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
I seen the commercial denitrator before and open them up. Seen the circulating pump builded in. Like you said, cost and sometime overrated.
Yes. There are some build-in type like my NR1000. There variations here and there but the concept remains the same.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:12 AM   #44
Koji™
Account Disabled

Quote:
Yes. There are some build-in type like my NR1000. There variations here and there but the concept remains the same.
Ya. And the problem with those builded in circulating pump one if spoil then problem lai liao. Not just as simple as replacing the pump nia, sometime it's the whole thing or the whole cover part. Sibeh ex lo!!
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:30 AM   #45
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
Ya. And the problem with those builded in circulating pump one if spoil then problem lai liao. Not just as simple as replacing the pump nia, sometime it's the whole thing or the whole cover part. Sibeh ex lo!!
You are talking about my NR1000. Yes, it is pretty expensive to replace the pump head and that is why I am into DIY!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #46
icekiki
Dragon

anyone can post pics of a denitrator attached to their tank??

Bro atom, can share??
icekiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #47
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
1. The flowrate is very slow as compare to nitrification level. There are no specific flowrate as it depends on too many factors. Some examples: size, amount of anaerobe, qty of carbon source, pH level, temp.....etc.

2. For my NR1000, I have managed to achieve a flowrate of 20 l/hr with some modification. It is didn't last for long though. Within 1 week of operation, nitrate was detected at output and followed by clogging.

As to your question on typical removal for a setup, I would it depends largely with respect to your bio-load and what is the reasonable level of nitrate you would want it to be.

3. Deniball is not a must. It is just convenient and provides constant supply of carbon source.
If I have a tank that is 1000litre of water, that produces 2g of nitrate per day. What type/design of denitrator is needed to bring the nitrate to 0? Which mean I need a denitrator to reduce 20ppm of nitrate in 1000litre of water in 1 day.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #48
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
If I have a tank that is 1000litre of water, that produces 2g of nitrate per day. What type/design of denitrator is needed to bring the nitrate to 0? Which mean I need a denitrator to reduce 20ppm of nitrate in 1000litre of water in 1 day.
Till date, I am quite confident to achieve 20 l/hr and trying to do a 30 l/hr. To get close to zero, you will need to have 1 complete turnover a day......this means 1000/24=approx 42 l/hr. You might need 2 units of 1m tall denitrator to do that. There is a commercial unit that is this height, NR5000 from aquamedic.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #49
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekiki View Post

Bro atom, can share??
Use within the sump area or directly to the tank?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #50
octane
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekiki View Post

Bro atom, can share??
post mine?

Quote:
Till date, I am quite confident to achieve 20 l/hr and trying to do a 30 l/hr. To get close to zero, you will need to have 1 complete turnover a day......this means 1000/24=approx 42 l/hr. You might need 2 units of 1m tall denitrator to do that. There is a commercial unit that is this height, NR5000 from aquamedic.
the price of NR5000 must be
octane is offline   Reply With Quote