Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 15-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #41
tank_maker

AFC Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolite22 View Post
Weird thing is the crack line had gotten longer and longer as the day goes by even without filling up with water... initially was 3/4, yesterday was about 4/5 and today is 9/10. Crack line reaching the bottom already...

First day:

Now:

Based on the expanding of crack line, the centre of tank is in expansion, one could derived that the support of left and right tank is not sufficient where by the centre is some what higher.
There is another layer of wood under this type of decking for the purpose of joining these deck and water to past through. It appeared that top is level, the lower level of wood that support these top rack are only partially supported. In his case, the left and right of corners are either not level or not fully supported.
Perhaps you might wish to share with your tank maker on improving these support.

Last edited by tank_maker; 15-11-2013 at 11:46 PM.
tank_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #42
Vitor
Dragon

Looks like right below the crack should have a support for the deck. Thus when compress, the centre is higher and stress the tank to split.

The level rule no use one as ur tank won't show it become a 'n' shape till it crack....
Vitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #43
tank_maker

AFC Associate

Bro Vitor explanation is more precise!

hope can contribute the experience on this area.
Btw, the maker of this tank is not me , but seem some bro trying to zap my point ha ha.

Last edited by tank_maker; 15-11-2013 at 11:58 PM.
tank_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #44
Vitor
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank_maker View Post

Btw, the maker of this tank is not me , but seem some bro trying to zap my point ha ha.
ahhaha engineering backgrd, v easy to tell center is push up creating a pivoting on center. Won't see saw as got foam to support when not fully weighted.

Should have make a 5-10" height Stainless steel frame base, paint black or brown to match ur wood then won't stress ur tank.
Old 16-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #45
Vitor
Dragon

Or normal steel weather coated, stainless won't rust if outdoor.

Or thick chenai wood to make base. Rather than the thin planks u using which is flexy
Old 16-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #46
radiolite22

Thanks bro victor and tankmaker for the inputs... will ask my tankmaker for advise when he comes over next monday.
Old 16-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #47
radiolite22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank_maker View Post

Yes tankmaker is not you bro!! All kind bros please dun zap him lah... he is kind enough to provide some advise to me..

Btw bro can u pm me a quote for a 7x2x2 tank or 7x2.5x2 tank with low profile stand? May have to find another tank if my tankmaker can't resolve the issue for me... hopefully you can gimme a good price too hor
Old 16-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #48
angelo
Senior Dragon

From the location of crack, the base support of the tank is the root cause. The correct measurement tool should be strain gauge instead of level gauge. Styrofoam is for the purpose to spread out local stress due to point loading instead of levelling loading across a distance. Thickness of styrofoam is not as critical as it density.
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #49
radiolite22

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
From the location of crack, the base support of the tank is the root cause. The correct measurement tool should be strain gauge instead of level gauge. Styrofoam is for the purpose to spread out local stress due to point loading instead of levelling loading across a distance. Thickness of styrofoam is not as critical as it density.
Mod your explaination very chim for me... btw where can I get a strain guage? Sure won't want the same thing to happen again if I get a replacement tank or new tank...or are you suggesting I should get a high density styrofoam?
Old 16-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #50
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolite22 View Post
Mod your explaination very chim for me... btw where can I get a strain guage? Sure won't want the same thing to happen again if I get a replacement tank or new tank...or are you suggesting I should get a high density styrofoam?
Just get a good low profile stand to support your new tank. Keep fish, not keep science...
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote