Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Shrimppaste

Default Ammonia Burn Fast & Furious

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to share this with the brothers here so that no one has to go through what I went thru, and also to get your opinions on what I could have done.

So I have recently moved my Wild Discus to the comm tank. This evening, I did a 80% waterchange. Right after the water change, I started seeing my fishes gasping for air at the top of the tank. Then to my dismay, I saw that they were spotting cloudy eyes. My first reaction was cloudy eyes due to fungus. But then I thought again it can't be that fast. The only thing that could be this fast can only be Ammonia burn. I quickly moved the fishes to my QT Tank and they are now stabilising. Just hope no other complications will arise.

So what I did wrong was that
1. I did not use anti chroline
2. I turned on the filter too fast after the water change, and this could have killed the good bacteria.

So my advise is, when you see what could be the obvious think again. Know that sometimes cloudy eyes is not fungus, and white torn fins may not be fin rot.

So my question is, I know that I have to do constant water change for Discus and at larger percentages. What could I have done different? Do I still do up to 80% and just remember to use anti chlorine? See the problem is that I always have doubts how effective anti chlorine is and thus have always chosen to skip.

I would really appreciate it if you guys with experience can advise.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #2
pijulrs
Dragon

IMHO, direct tap water without any anti chlorine/water conditioner is always a risk.chlorine/chloramine do exist in SG New water.I think ur discus suffered cholrine burnt.Always use treated aged water or if direct tap water was use pour first the water conditioner in the tank.
pijulrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
Haohao
Arofanatic

It's the chlorine/chloramine. I saw with my own eyes in just under 15 mins with tests subjects tiger barbs of ten.

Test 1- fresh tap water 100% with ocean free cheapo conditional, 5 of out 10 fish turn side way swimming, some darting in water before lying at the bottom

2nd test no conditional added fresh tap water 100%-same results as above

Only the third test with the good condition added in the fish survived till this morning still swimming

2 Morales of the story, 1st, sorry ocean free, u suck. 2nd, buy prime.
Haohao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
gregnng
Dragon

Our sgp local tape water fluctuates between ph 7 to 8 usually.

For water changes, usually I do only 60% water change, drain and top up. 2 caps of cheapo ocean free and 1 table spoons of acid buffer salts.(approx. 100 litres 1.5 feet cube tank)

This usually drops the ph to between 6 and 7 change, safe for most cichlids.

Chlorine burn can be serious for some fish, protective slime turns white and fall off, gills bleached too, if gills damaged, fish more or less doomed.
gregnng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Vitor
Dragon

Normally I do 30-40. % Max to stable the wc. Anti chlorine must put lar, save a lot of trouble going thru those issue

Sent from my INO_ONE using Tapatalk 2
Vitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
Shrimppaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor View Post
Normally I do 30-40. % Max to stable the wc. Anti chlorine must put lar, save a lot of trouble going thru those issue

Sent from my INO_ONE using Tapatalk 2
Yah yah now I learned my lesson
Old 10-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimppaste View Post
Hi Guys,

See the problem is that I always have doubts how effective anti chlorine is and thus have always chosen to skip.

This is your biggest problem and the reason why your fishes are like that now.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Other than chlorine or ammonia, pH shock is also another possibility if you change a lot of water at one go.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
mshak
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimppaste View Post

2. I turned on the filter too fast after the water change, and this could have killed the good bacteria.
no 1 definitely the reason bro

no 2 doesnt happen to me at all bro =)

so u got your answers
mshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
rainbowdarter

Singapore water chlorine content vary from time to time day and night and area East and West base on my previous test conducted
The Nitrate too at high side. Upon check by PUB officer they conclude that it is at normal level.

Please do take note that some Anti-Chlorine will cause pH change by, most pH will be increased.