Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 05-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Oceanfish
Arofanatic

Default New 1.5 feet tank marine start up

Dear Bro and Sis,

Need your help and guidance here..

I am a newbie in marine tank without any experience on the set up

Would really like to keep marine tank for so long ago but discourage by the frequent thought of extreme difficulty of it.

But now, Would like to try on my 1.5 feet

Was wondering whether:
1) hang on filter dolphin H200 is suitable for marine tank?
2) any particular marine salt to buy? apart from marine salt do I need other components to constitute salt water?
3) saw all the tank set up very sui here with all the live rocks. where to get the live rocks,?
4) Is protein skimmer really necessary?

My Tank description
45 cm (L) x 20 cm (w) x 25 cm (H)
Office aircon constant 22 degree celcius constant
Reverse osmosis water
Hang on filter

Intent to keep 2 clown fish, 1 shrimp, 1 other fish, 1 coral only
Simple set up to learn before proceed to bigger tank.

Would really appreciate any kind help and comments here

Thanks again
Oceanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
KaLiB

Welcome to the marine fishkeeping hobby.

With patience and doing some homework on the species your interested in, it'll go a long way to help you succeed in this hobby.

1) Yes, you can use that for a 1.5ft tank.
2) For a start, you can try coralife or redsea brand salts.
3) Liverocks are usually bought from the marine LFS or from other hobbyists.
4) Not necessary. You can still setup and run a successful tank without protein skimming.

It'll be good to monitor the water temperature since your office aircon is at a constant 22deg. You might have to use a heater if the water temperature falls too low. The recommended range is 26-28deg for tropical marine tanks.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Oceanfish
Arofanatic

Hi Bro,

Thanks for the kind advice,

For LFS, I only saw aquastar carry LS but no live rocks, which LFS would you frequently visit?

I stay at West area

Thanks,
Old 06-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
KaLiB

I normally go to Aquamarin or the Pasir ris fish farms. In the west side, you can try places like marine life hobbielist.

There's a list here which list other marine LFS in sg.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Oceanfish
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
I normally go to Aquamarin or the Pasir ris fish farms. In the west side, you can try places like marine life hobbielist.

Thanks Bro,

Will go MarineLife later.. Cos it few bus stop away
Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Oceanfish
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post

Hi Bro,

Ask u ar, is budget 100 SGD enough for 2 ft marine tank set up or simple 25 ltr ocean free set up, I have filter, lighting, test kit.

Went to Marinelife and when the uncle ask me my budget, I say 100 or less, he advise me to go for fresh water instead without even entertain my question. Dissapointed by his service, will patronize other store instead.

Thanks,
Old 06-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Cruzer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanfish View Post
Hi Bro,

Ask u ar, is budget 100 SGD enough for 2 ft marine tank set up or simple 25 ltr ocean free set up, I have filter, lighting, test kit.

Went to Marinelife and when the uncle ask me my budget, I say 100 or less, he advise me to go for fresh water instead without even entertain my question. Dissapointed by his service, will patronize other store instead.

Thanks,
Hi i believe the answer would be the same for the other stores u visit as $100 would not be possible at all. Even if you are already equip with the basic eg filter, lighting etc, there are still many other equipments u require to keep a basic marine tank going.eg skimmer,liverocks etc. Marine is much more ex than fresh, this is what i learnt when i 1st started on marine few mths ago. Pls read up more on the requirement and u will soon realise y the advice from MarineLife owner. Just my advice, no offense.
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
xersion
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanfish View Post
Hi Bro,

Thanks,
i'm surprise that henry wont entertain your question... even when i'm not buying anything from him we will still sit down and TCSS
xersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
Oceanfish
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Hi i believe the answer would be the same for the other stores u visit as $100 would not be possible at all. Even if you are already equip with the basic eg filter, lighting etc, there are still many other equipments u require to keep a basic marine tank going.eg skimmer,liverocks etc. Marine is much more ex than fresh, this is what i learnt when i 1st started on marine few mths ago. Pls read up more on the requirement and u will soon realise y the advice from MarineLife owner. Just my advice, no offense.
Hi, for simple 25 L set up for marine trial run to get the feel and learn, it would be more than enough,. Live rocks budget 25, clown fish 5-7 sgd, sand 4-5 sgd, and then no skimmer as water change performed frequently., Have RO water supply, marine salt 20 sgd, Have BB pellets as well

Does it less than 100 SGD? Already inform the uncle for trial set up to get a feel but was discourage to go back fresh water.. Some shop owner just despise little boy thought of no buying power., ha.. Ha..

Will go The one next to Qianhu tomoro..
Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
oldrookiesjerem

100 is possible but u might need to consider reducing ur bio load, without skimmer and a phorsphate remover it could be tricky in maintaining the water condition or can consider a Upflow algae scrubber

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topi...y-permanently/

For lr usually the price is $7-$9 per kilo