Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
zadrian
Dragon

Default Need advise with regards to small fish and equipment

Hi, I need some kind words of advise regards to fish.

I am using fine sand and 2 pieces of live rock and so far only a Diamond Goby n a 1.5 ft tank.

I am thinking of adding a red mushroom which I saw at Golden Octopus and probably a few more small corals.

I was initially of having 1 or 2 clowns and soft corals was for them.
But I am now more concerned about food as I prefer to use dried foods as far as possible eg carnivour pellets or flakes (kindly advise if can use the Aquafin flakes as I also have a FW tank at home).

Which small fish would be more acceptable to dried foods ?

Also kindly advise if there are short "in-water" hydrometers ?
I got a Dymax Glass Hydrometer but it was a little too long. In fact it is just floating about 3-5mm above the sand when it hits the green line and cannot pass any "sand hills"
zadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
KaLiB

For small fish that readily accept dried foods, you can look at cardinalfishes, dartfish like zebra goby, purple/red firefish or the popular false percula clownfish.

If your aquafin flakes is not for marine fish, its better to buy food meant for marine fish as freshwater flakes or pellets could lack the nutrients needed by marine fishes. Marine pellets like Hikari's marine s, ocean nutrition formula 1 or 2 pellets would be suitable for the above mentioned fishes.

For hydrometers, you can get the swing arm type where you fill a container with water and a needle inside it floats to indicate the SG of the water. I don't know of any short "in-water" hydrometers.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
zadrian
Dragon

Thanks....I will re-stock my flakes and pellets.

As for the in-water hydrometer, I found a Sera one....it is only about 4" long as compared to the Dymax one which is around 6" long
Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Cruzer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadrian View Post
Thanks....I will re-stock my flakes and pellets.

As for the in-water hydrometer, I found a Sera one....it is only about 4" long as compared to the Dymax one which is around 6" long
Hi heard that those floating type of hydrometer are not really accurate, swing arm type is better.
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
zadrian
Dragon

I use it as a guide, in case someone else top up water.

I have the coral life swing arm one...but that acts like a scoop and I use it for water + salt mixing.