Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 26-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #21
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

bro calvin brought up a good point!

i forgot to add biohomme, liquid bacteria kit, activated carbon & thermometer. set me back about 30+ for all of these.
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #22
iewnuj
Arofanatic

My advice is to skip the cherries and head straight to CRSs

Since cherries and CRSs have slightly different requirements, i think its best you spend a bit more and have a CRSs set up , rather than trying to compromise and then when you want to switch from cherries to CRSs in the future, you would still need to make additional purchases such as chiller and aquasoil.

Even if you were to keep cherries with ADA aquasoil so that you can switch to CRSs in the future, it wouldnt be economical as you need to keep in mind that the PH buffering capabilities of aquasoils have a limited lifespan.

Just come to the darkside. Chances are after keeping cherries for a while, you would be tempted to try CRSs.
iewnuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #23
saddyboi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith82 View Post
Actually if you are on budget, black quartz will do. soil will incur higher cost. And if you use soil, you need to cycle your tank for about 2 weeks before you can pour in the shrimps. You need alot of test kit to ensure the PH, KH and GH.
i just came back from C328.. lol.. waiting for the person in wts section to reply me with the 1.5ft tank and canister filter.. looks like a good deal..

u mean using soil need to test for PH, KH and GH? if quartz need?
saddyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #24
saddyboi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iewnuj View Post
My advice is to skip the cherries and head straight to CRSs

Since cherries and CRSs have slightly different requirements, i think its best you spend a bit more and have a CRSs set up , rather than trying to compromise and then when you want to switch from cherries to CRSs in the future, you would still need to make additional purchases such as chiller and aquasoil.

Even if you were to keep cherries with ADA aquasoil so that you can switch to CRSs in the future, it wouldnt be economical as you need to keep in mind that the PH buffering capabilities of aquasoils have a limited lifespan.

Just come to the darkside. Chances are after keeping cherries for a while, you would be tempted to try CRSs.
this is poisonous!!!
Old 26-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #25
fishshticks

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddyboi View Post
this is poisonous!!!
I agree. If you treasure the lives of little invertebrates, please do not go straight to CRS. DO cherries first, they are tougher, and would give you more confidence.

Confidence is not everything, but it does count for something and with regards to the money that you potentially save by jumping straight to CRS, that bit of savings is really not worth it at all, especially if it buys you confidence.

Also, if you are concerned about "value", you can try high grade cherry shrimp. Some high grade cherry shrimps, like painted red, are more expensive than even grade A-S CRS. I reckon they may be weaker than lousy coloured cherry shrimps, but they are still much much tougher than CRS, which are cardina.

In essence, what I'm trying to say is, start with neocardina first, then move on to cardina.
Old 26-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #26
saddyboi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishshticks View Post
I agree. If you treasure the lives of little invertebrates, please do not go straight to CRS. DO cherries first, they are tougher, and would give you more confidence.

Confidence is not everything, but it does count for something and with regards to the money that you potentially save by jumping straight to CRS, that bit of savings is really not worth it at all, especially if it buys you confidence.

Also, if you are concerned about "value", you can try high grade cherry shrimp. Some high grade cherry shrimps, like painted red, are more expensive than even grade A-S CRS. I reckon they may be weaker than lousy coloured cherry shrimps, but they are still much much tougher than CRS, which are cardina.

In essence, what I'm trying to say is, start with neocardina first, then move on to cardina.
ya.. tts why i wanna start with cherries first.. but crs is sure tempting.. btw where to find neocardina? i went c328 looks like only have crs..
Old 26-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #27
jowy

Quote:
ya.. tts why i wanna start with cherries first.. but crs is sure tempting.. btw where to find neocardina? i went c328 looks like only have crs..
C328 does have cherry shrimp if you had look carefully around the shop...
Old 26-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #28
ciaossu

Quote:
it's at the back of the shop. if you still can't find it ask the auntie i'm sure the auntie will help u. happy hunting
Old 27-10-2010, 12:32 AM   #29
saddyboi
Dragon

icic... thx alot guys!! will update once i got everything in ready condition...
Old 27-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #30
fishshticks

Quote:
icic... thx alot guys!! will update once i got everything in ready condition...
to be honest, just buy from other members of the forum. post a thread in the buy/sell forum. I won't trust LFS if I were you, especially after what ningning posted about those parasitic worms in fire reds. lol.

Also, forum prices tend to be much cheaper.