Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 12-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
Oneiromancer
Dragon

Default Mixed comm tank

Hi all, I had this question which I thought you guys might be able to answer. In the basement of Katong 112 is a long tank with quite a few gold aros. In the tank are also a lot of small fishes and angel fish etc. However, they all seem to get along. Any idea how they managed to achieve it?
Oneiromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
Nevin
Dragon

From my limited experience, there are 3 main factor to achieve community tank for arowana.

1. Feed the arowana with only frozen food or pellets to reduce their aggressiveness as arowana is carnivore.

2. The space much be big enough for the aro to have their own territory as they are territory fish.

3. If arowana is being feed with super worm as main diet, they are unlikely to prey on small fish as they get lazy to chase them since there will be a free juicy worm meal.

Wish these tips would answer TS enquires.
Nevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

ts, currently I am Comm my 6-years old goodie with a juvenile 5" tiger Oscar.

The aro was about 5" when bagged home. Since then, "foon Lok ",its name has been boh chap

The tiger Oscar "Kopi" is very calm & timid unless most oscars that are territorial.

I guess I am lucky. It's a 422.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
ren_hao

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart73 View Post

The aro was about 5" when bagged home. Since then, "foon Lok ",its name has been boh chap

The tiger Oscar "Kopi" is very calm & timid unless most oscars that are territorial.

How large has foon lok grown?
I am thinking of setting up a are tank and have been torn between a 522 or a 422. I am worried that 422 might be too small.
It will be a comm, 1 aro + pleco + oscars + quite a few small free-swimming feeders.
ren_hao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
Oneiromancer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart73 View Post

Yeah. Quite fortunate. Oscars can be quite fierce. I guess being around the same size could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren_hao View Post
I am thinking of setting up a are tank and have been torn between a 522 or a 422. I am worried that 422 might be too small.
It will be a comm, 1 aro + pleco + oscars + quite a few small free-swimming feeders.
Think for Aro should get at least 522. Personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
From my limited experience, there are 3 main factor to achieve community tank for arowana.

1. Feed the arowana with only frozen food or pellets to reduce their aggressiveness as arowana is carnivore.

2. The space much be big enough for the aro to have their own territory as they are territory fish.

3. If arowana is being feed with super worm as main diet, they are unlikely to prey on small fish as they get lazy to chase them since there will be a free juicy worm meal.

Wish these tips would answer TS enquires.
Thanks for the tips. I guess I won't be going back to Aro anytime soon. My tank bioload is comfortable now.
Oneiromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
mrnyunus
Dragon

Smile

Big space....For community tanks set up, temperament plays a big part...same fish different characters ...like us
mrnyunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #7
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren_hao View Post
Bro, mine is a 422.

Foon lok is 23".
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote