Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #21
.Hack
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapRanchu View Post
My very own shallow experience from over-feeding...

I used to have about 10 TVRs and 4 SVRs in my pond with a customised 3 chambers bacteria house filter with UV at the last chamber.

The depth of my pond was about 1.5 ft with the filter outlet channelling into a small little rock waterfall. I was using Laguna power pump that was running 24/7. Understand that these conditions may not be ideal for bbrs but luckily their tail set wasn't affected by the waterflow.

Anywayz...I was feeding them 6 meals a day with mixture of Hikari Spirulina, Hikari Lionhead, Hikari Oranda Gold, Hikari Freeze dried BW and Hikari FBW.

Because of the number of fish and their incessious appetide, I used to empty the entire pellet of FBW (24 cubes??) into the pond and they finished up everything within minutes. Did 80% wc once every weekend.

As days go by, my ranchus began to have stringy white poo and slowly...their gills began to swell and blood-like clot was found on the inside of some of their gills. And some float to gasp for air.

Luckily all were salvaged but that taught me a harsh lesson on careful feeding and wc regime
So did you find out whats the cause?
Due to water condition or overfeeding?
.Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
JapRanchu

I believe it was parasites from feeding live food. I dewormed them by using Prazi for internal coupled with Acriflavine bath for external infection (gill fluke).

Was told by fellow goldfish kaki that when long white stringy or squiggly poo is excreted, it could indicate that the fish was infected with internal parasites.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #23
JapRanchu

May I add that it was my believe that one thing led to another, i.e., over feeding with too much fbw there by upsetting the water parameter and thus, adding stress to the fish, which then gave opportunities for the bacteria and parasites that were already present in the pond to take host on the weakened fish.

My very own shallow believe nia nia...I may be mistaken
Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
.Hack
Dragon

Quote:
May I add that it was my believe that one thing led to another, i.e., over feeding with too much fbw there by upsetting the water parameter and thus, adding stress to the fish, which then gave opportunities for the bacteria and parasites that were already present in the pond to take host on the weakened fish.

Have to pay close attention to water condition if feeding alot to your GF. Not only the FBW will foul water. The more you feed, the more poo your GF will give out, this will also affect your water condition. May have excessive ammonia and nitrite if filtration is not powerful enough.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #25
mediacraze
Dragon

Quote:
I believe it was parasites from feeding live food. I dewormed them by using Prazi for internal coupled with Acriflavine bath for external infection (gill fluke).

Was told by fellow goldfish kaki that when long white stringy or squiggly poo is excreted, it could indicate that the fish was infected with internal parasites.
Sometime long white string poo may not indicate is internal parasites, but if long white poo couple with red strike at tail more or less indicate there are internal problem. This is the very first sign and should perform some internal clearing treatment thru medicine or medicated food to help build up the internal

Quote:

One of the reason why I not feeding FBW anymore.
Like I post earlier, due to my feeding regime (6-8 meals), I still do peroidc internal to maintain/ build up the internal defence.
However, it is very important to monitor your fishes daily. Activness, the way they feed (fast or slow), external signs, etc. I use this couple with monitor the water bubble to gauge the water condition. I got no meters or testing kits at home, just to share
mediacraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #26
UnSun

Quote:

I'm using the same. When fish have long thin white poo and have no appetite means they infected with internal protozoan or parasites, effectively treat with Metronidazole mixed with food (1% of body weight) or in the water together with high temp of 30-32 deg C.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #27
UnSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediacraze View Post

However, it is very important to monitor your fishes daily. Activness, the way they feed (fast or slow), external signs, etc. I use this couple with monitor the water bubble to gauge the water condition. I got no meters or testing kit
I second that and would like to add that daily observation is very important. Your fish appearance/behavior will tell you about their health. Feeding should varies according to their health, appetite and water condition. One must also learn to practice fasting your fish, prior to w/cs or treatment. It's not a very straight forward thing and everyone should develope their own methods according to the type/number of fish they are keeping and also the type of setup/conditions (indoor. outdoors, tank, ponds..etc..) and should not try to copy wholesale from others but just pick the most appropriate. I always pay attention to how others are keeping their fish.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #28
mediacraze
Dragon

Thumbs up

Week said UnSun
mediacraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #29
.Hack
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnSun View Post
Your food is equivalent to French Crusine. That's about right for grooming if follow by good w/cs and filtration.
Yes, show us a video leh.
Have added video for my GFs.
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=491585
Old 08-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #30
JapRanchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnSun View Post
I'm using the same. When fish have long thin white poo and have no appetite means they infected with internal protozoan or parasites, effectively treat with Metronidazole mixed with food (1% of body weight) or in the water together with high temp of 30-32 deg C.
I had a bbr that was down for almost one month. It had swollen gills, blood streaks on its body and was floating and gasping for air.

It was then quarantined for almost a month with repeated medication for internal and external infections. Everyday I see the fish wasting away and loosing its body mass and I thought i'd lost him.

But after one month, it began eating again albeit, more slowly.

This is the longest period of quarantine I've ever put on a single fish and fortunately, it survived the treatment.