Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 17-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #21
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterFish View Post
OIC.

shall wait and see then.
maybe should try to raise some BBS soon... just to assist the parents on feeding after they are free swimming for 3 days...

Now also to hope when wrigglers become free swimming, they can attach to their parents and feed on their slime.
Thanks for the advices.

Frankly I've not cultivated BBS before, so not sure how to do it. May I know if this is still essential in a planted tank, since the fry may be able to consume those microscopic organism in the water?

I tried to cover the filter inlet with some sponge earlier but kept getting 'attacked' by the parents, thinking I'm some 'fry stealer' or something.
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #22
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Perhaps you will like go remove the partition that separate the parents n the fries. Parent discus does suck the fire in their mouth to move them. Or eat the dead fries. Is very challenging to keep fries without parents slime for 1st week.

As for bbs, that can come later when the fries are older. The planted tank organism will not be able to support the food for fries alone.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #23
Ozone

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Perhaps you will like go remove the partition that separate the parents n the fries. Parent discus does suck the fire in their mouth to move them. Or eat the dead fries. Is very challenging to keep fries without parents slime for 1st week.

As for bbs, that can come later when the fries are older. The planted tank organism will not be able to support the food for fries alone.
Didnt know that discus could move fire!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveSurfer View Post
Some updates: (by the way, the fry are indeed mollies')

The discus pair had their 3rd spawn on another part of the driftwood (hidden from front view) and while I was wondering whether they had already laid their eggs etc ('cos can't see clearly due to the angle), I noticed some wrigglers floating around with the parents quickly sucking them in with their mouths.

Fortunately I had bought two pieces of acrylic separators from a LFS and so I quickly placed them in to separate all the fishes, so that the wrigglers won't be eaten up again by them.

Hopefully the fry will grow up better now, especially in a planted tank where food for fry is in abundance(?).

Can bros here advise what do I need to take note and do next? Thanks!

This time it definately looks like discus fries.
Ozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #24
hifi88
Arofanatic

you be will having tough time changing the tank water when fry free swimming
hifi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post

Thanks for the advices about the BBS and food supply.

Yes, the fry are with the parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
This time it definately looks like discus fries.
Indeed, they are very different from those molly fry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi88 View Post
you be will having tough time changing the tank water when fry free swimming
Hmm why is that so? While siphoning may suck up the fry too?

But indeed it could be troublesome when they are free swimming, when they start swimming through the small holes in the separators and could get eaten up by the fishes on the other side, especially the dwarf chain loaches...

Anymore when I checked again yesterday morning, all the fry had disappeared... I have tried to cover the filter inlet so less likely they were sucked in. Could the parents have eaten them up? If so, why?
Old 19-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #26
Ozone

AFC Member

The fries may be eaten up by the parents as you have already disturbed them by putting in the divider
Ozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #27
nitingdedao
Dragon

If you are serious about breeding maybe this is a good time to prepare your tank for the next spawn.
nitingdedao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #28
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
The fries may be eaten up by the parents as you have already disturbed them by putting in the divider
I see... So when should I start putting in the divider then? Why would the parents eat up the fry when disturbed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitingdedao View Post
If you are serious about breeding maybe this is a good time to prepare your tank for the next spawn.
I'm mainly just trying to gain some experience on breeding so perhaps not really 'serious' in that sense yet.

May I know what do you mean by preparing the tank? As in the planted tank or set up a separate tank especially for breeding?
Old 19-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #29
nitingdedao
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveSurfer View Post
I see... So when should I start putting in the divider then? Why would the parents eat up the fry when disturbed?

I'm mainly just trying to gain some experience on breeding so perhaps not really 'serious' in that sense yet.

May I know what do you mean by preparing the tank? As in the planted tank or set up a separate tank especially for breeding?
Remove all live stock in that tank other than the pair. or simply by moving the pair into another tank on its own.
nitingdedao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #30
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitingdedao View Post
Remove all live stock in that tank other than the pair. or simply by moving the pair into another tank on its own.
Okay I understand now.

Yes, I agree it's indeed the best solutions for the best breeding experience too.

Guess besides the space/tank limitations, I'm also using this opportunity to see what is the survival rate of the discus fry in a planted tank environment. Now they are on their 4th spawn with around 30+ wrigglers. Should be free swimming soon and hopefully they will attach to their parents this time round.

Pre-filter sponge and divider already placed and untouched since several days ago so hopefully the parents do not feel threatened again this time.