Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Betta Forum

Old 31-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
AndyDwyer

Arofanatic

Default Wild Bettas

Hi guys, anyone keeping wild bettas here? Used to keep a few pairs, but after few months they started dying one by one.. could it be due to the water condition? They were all feeding fine.

Using sponge filter for each of the tanks. And added 2-3 Ketapang leaves per tank. Fed them with frozen blood worms.

Plan to start keeping wild bettas again soon
Anyone care to share theirs?
AndyDwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Naga
Dragon

Just started with a pair of wild mac and channoides

Sad to hear, couldn't be the water if they're feeding fine. do you really find out the cause?
Naga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
AndyDwyer

Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga View Post
Just started with a pair of wild mac and channoides

Sad to hear, couldn't be the water if they're feeding fine. do you really find out the cause?
Nice, hope your pairs start to breed soon
No not really.. as during that time i was busy with schooling so i didn't really went to check, maybe it was due to my neglect to the bettas
Old 09-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
STC4Ever
Arofanatic

I have a pair of Betta Ocellata (but after the brooding and the male killed the female after I reintroduced them together, waiting for F1 to grow up), 2 pairs of Albimirgata that died and 2 pairs of channoides (1 male died, and I have two batches of F1) and 4F+2M Macrostoma (with F1 fries now).

except for the Macs, which is having a canister filter with chiller running, the rest of the fishes are all in sponge filters.

they may be eating well but there may also be presence of parasites.. need to be careful.. especially if you are feeding them live feed. I only feed them Brine shrimps in their initial stage with me and hikari frozen bloodworm.. if you are feeding tubifex, you need to be really careful..
STC4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
AndyDwyer

Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC4Ever View Post
I have a pair of Betta Ocellata (but after the brooding and the male killed the female after I reintroduced them together, waiting for F1 to grow up), 2 pairs of Albimirgata that died and 2 pairs of channoides (1 male died, and I have two batches of F1) and 4F+2M Macrostoma (with F1 fries now).

except for the Macs, which is having a canister filter with chiller running, the rest of the fishes are all in sponge filters.

they may be eating well but there may also be presence of parasites.. need to be careful.. especially if you are feeding them live feed. I only feed them Brine shrimps in their initial stage with me and hikari frozen bloodworm.. if you are feeding tubifex, you need to be really careful..
Interesting why would the males sometimes kill the females. But i see some people separating the pair with a separator in the same tank before reintroducing the pair together again.

I understand that Macs are much more sensitive to water conditions compared to other wild betta species but is it necessary to provide them with a chiller?

I feed my bettas only Frozen Tubifex worms
Old 09-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
STC4Ever
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer View Post
Interesting why would the males sometimes kill the females. But i see some people separating the pair with a separator in the same tank before reintroducing the pair together again.

I understand that Macs are much more sensitive to water conditions compared to other wild betta species but is it necessary to provide them with a chiller?

I feed my bettas only Frozen Tubifex worms
There are two breeders in this forum. One of them is not using chiller but I cannot be sure for the other. In their nature environment the water is cold compared to others. They live in streams or big lakes. Most of the people that I knew keeping macs or kept before say temperature is a factor. One even keep I air con room
Old 09-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
AndyDwyer

Arofanatic

Quote:
There are two breeders in this forum. One of them is not using chiller but I cannot be sure for the other. In their nature environment the water is cold compared to others. They live in streams or big lakes. Most of the people that I knew keeping macs or kept before say temperature is a factor. One even keep I air con room
I see, its expensive using a chiller, might need to reconsider keeping Macs next time.. maybe i'll just drop in some ice cubes every once in awhile hehe
Old 09-09-2015, 11:30 PM   #8
STC4Ever
Arofanatic

Quote:
I see, its expensive using a chiller, might need to reconsider keeping Macs next time.. maybe i'll just drop in some ice cubes every once in awhile hehe
May have thermal shock. The chiller don't run 24/7. There are kick in and kick out period. If u have a lot of wilds maybe keeping in air con room is better
Old 10-09-2015, 12:20 AM   #9
AndyDwyer

Arofanatic

Quote:
May have thermal shock. The chiller don't run 24/7. There are kick in and kick out period. If u have a lot of wilds maybe keeping in air con room is better
I see, i have plans in the future to breed wild bettas but i'll first have to get a pair to test out breeding again, if its successful then i shall get a few pairs to breed but that won't be anytime near as i wont have much time until after Army
Old 10-09-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
STC4Ever
Arofanatic

Quote:
I see, i have plans in the future to breed wild bettas but i'll first have to get a pair to test out breeding again, if its successful then i shall get a few pairs to breed but that won't be anytime near as i wont have much time until after Army
How long more to army? Just get channoides to keep again. They shd b able to breed fairly easy.