Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 03:30 AM   #41
atom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Here is a typical commercial denitrator design. Some comes with added feature like ORP adaptor and additional inlet for feeding.



Advantage
1. Top cover can be remove easily for maintenance.
2. Recirculation pump to prevent dead spot.
3. ORP facililty for auto flowrate controlling.


Disadvantage
1. Cost.
2. Sometimes over-rated.
3. Poor instruction manual.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:39 AM   #42
Koji™
Account Disabled
 
Koji™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 57,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Advantage
1. Top cover can be remove easily for maintenance.
2. Recirculation pump to prevent dead spot.
3. ORP facililty for auto flowrate controlling.


Disadvantage
1. Cost.
2. Sometimes over-rated.
3. Poor instruction manual.
I seen the commercial denitrator before and open them up. Seen the circulating pump builded in. Like you said, cost and sometime overrated.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 AM   #43
atom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
I seen the commercial denitrator before and open them up. Seen the circulating pump builded in. Like you said, cost and sometime overrated.
Yes. There are some build-in type like my NR1000. There variations here and there but the concept remains the same.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:12 AM   #44
Koji™
Account Disabled
 
Koji™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 57,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Yes. There are some build-in type like my NR1000. There variations here and there but the concept remains the same.
Ya. And the problem with those builded in circulating pump one if spoil then problem lai liao. Not just as simple as replacing the pump nia, sometime it's the whole thing or the whole cover part. Sibeh ex lo!!
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:30 AM   #45
atom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
Ya. And the problem with those builded in circulating pump one if spoil then problem lai liao. Not just as simple as replacing the pump nia, sometime it's the whole thing or the whole cover part. Sibeh ex lo!!
You are talking about my NR1000. Yes, it is pretty expensive to replace the pump head and that is why I am into DIY!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #46
icekiki
Dragon
 
icekiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,865
Default

anyone can post pics of a denitrator attached to their tank??

Bro atom, can share??
icekiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #47
silane
Senior Dragon
 
silane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
1. The flowrate is very slow as compare to nitrification level. There are no specific flowrate as it depends on too many factors. Some examples: size, amount of anaerobe, qty of carbon source, pH level, temp.....etc.

2. For my NR1000, I have managed to achieve a flowrate of 20 l/hr with some modification. It is didn't last for long though. Within 1 week of operation, nitrate was detected at output and followed by clogging.

As to your question on typical removal for a setup, I would it depends largely with respect to your bio-load and what is the reasonable level of nitrate you would want it to be.

3. Deniball is not a must. It is just convenient and provides constant supply of carbon source.
If I have a tank that is 1000litre of water, that produces 2g of nitrate per day. What type/design of denitrator is needed to bring the nitrate to 0? Which mean I need a denitrator to reduce 20ppm of nitrate in 1000litre of water in 1 day.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #48
atom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
If I have a tank that is 1000litre of water, that produces 2g of nitrate per day. What type/design of denitrator is needed to bring the nitrate to 0? Which mean I need a denitrator to reduce 20ppm of nitrate in 1000litre of water in 1 day.
Till date, I am quite confident to achieve 20 l/hr and trying to do a 30 l/hr. To get close to zero, you will need to have 1 complete turnover a day......this means 1000/24=approx 42 l/hr. You might need 2 units of 1m tall denitrator to do that. There is a commercial unit that is this height, NR5000 from aquamedic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #49
atom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekiki View Post
anyone can post pics of a denitrator attached to their tank??

Bro atom, can share??
Use within the sump area or directly to the tank?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #50
octane
Endangered Dragon
 
octane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 9,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekiki View Post
anyone can post pics of a denitrator attached to their tank??

Bro atom, can share??
post mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Till date, I am quite confident to achieve 20 l/hr and trying to do a 30 l/hr. To get close to zero, you will need to have 1 complete turnover a day......this means 1000/24=approx 42 l/hr. You might need 2 units of 1m tall denitrator to do that. There is a commercial unit that is this height, NR5000 from aquamedic.
the price of NR5000 must be
octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)