Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 11-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
ThErMuS
Dragon

im using option a.. if i forget to change the wool for a, the return water flow and pressure will damage the wool..

so it depends on one what they wwant
ThErMuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
tco
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThErMuS View Post
im using option a.. if i forget to change the wool for a, the return water flow and pressure will damage the wool..

so it depends on one what they wwant
Can place a small plastic container, those with holes all around type, place a pc of cotton wool in the container n place it under the return flow. It help trapping most waste n cushion the down flow pressure.
tco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #13
ThErMuS
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondpeh View Post
The purpose of design B is for water to overflow "evenly" to the 2nd compartment with the wool. The tank maker wanted to simulate same effect as Internal overflow system (IOS) so all the dirt doesn't "concentrate" on same spot as design A. However, the setback for design B is there is dead spots at the bottom of the first compartment which accumulates the waste over time.
Yup thats what i did... i use 1 no mr aqua tray to do the job
ThErMuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #14
Vitor
Dragon

hmmm nv use before both. but ious,
w the extra dead space to let heavy poo drop may not be a bad ideal

as in if u dont change wool that freq, dirt dun choke the wool that fast,
thus last longer .

else v fast choke must change wool alot , unless u dun change that freq.
Vitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #15
Aro2626
Arofanatic

I have alots of fish in the tank. Every three days I need to change the wool. As it is very tiring..... so now finding another alternative. Bigger piece of wool to collect more dirt.

As i have experience, if the wool is full pack of dirt, the water will flow to other place.
I have one times cover the area with full of wool. After back from holiday 10 days, the water flow from top to the next compartment. Lucky my partition is lower than the sump tank. Otherwise, my room will flood. ?...
Aro2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:29 AM   #16
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
I go for the B design though space is bit wasted. The water flowing to the wool is evenly spread out. Design A, some fine dirt maybe will pass through the wool filter as the water is too strong, imho.
I also like design B. No splashing of water in the first compt. Sump is silent. Depending on how your inlet pipe is positioned, it can eliminate most dead spots. I place my OS in the first compartment hanging in netting held by plastic hooks, leaving gaps under the bags to reduce dead spots. Wasted space? Lol... I prefer this layout. Dirt is evenly spread throughout my wool, no wasted spots.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #17
rtgaroaro
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
I also like design B. No splashing of water in the first compt. Sump is silent. Depending on how your inlet pipe is positioned, it can eliminate most dead spots. I place my OS in the first compartment hanging in netting held by plastic hooks, leaving gaps under the bags to reduce dead spots. Wasted space? Lol... I prefer this layout. Dirt is evenly spread throughout my wool, no wasted spots.
put an air stone in to create bubbles and acceration, this can remove the dirt in first compartment.
rtgaroaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 01:10 AM   #18
llewellyn
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgaroaro View Post
put an air stone in to create bubbles and acceration, this can remove the dirt in first compartment.
the piping is extended all the way down from the main tank into the bottom sump...
dont really need agitation
llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #19
jyee
Arofanatic

I am using Design B.

The reason i choosing Design B as my sump is because i want to make the water fall evenly and collect waste at the bottom of first compartment. And then open an hole at the bottom of 1st compartment, drainoff once or twice a week.

But thing will never as what i plan, my overflow piping was 2" dia. it make the water force was so strong, then cause mine 1st compartment can't collect waste.

For Design A,

I think it also can make the water spread evenly, just need to do some modification at the overflow piping.

Instead of 1 outlet, make it into 4 or even 6 outlet. So it can will let the water flow evenly over the entire dry filter wool. I make this for my FGT filter.
jyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #20
tco
Dragon

Interesting, can show pic how to make the outlet into 4 or 6?
tco is offline   Reply With Quote